Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I think I have found my calling (no pun intended!) >

I think I have found my calling (no pun intended!)

I think I have found my calling (no pun intended!)

Old 08-19-2014, 07:10 AM

I haven't been bothered lately,but when I would get these calls I always said"Please tell your supervisor that I do not like this kind of advertising and if I need your service I will find somebody else to provide it.
Originally Posted by Roberta View Post
I don't subscribe to caller-ID so I don't know who is on the line until I pick up. I usually stop the caller and just say I'm not interested but thanks for calling and hang up. I find it very hard to be rude to people even if they are bothering me but I rarely receive return calls from any that I've used that method on.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 AM

I have always wondered why they keep using this form of advertising when so many of us find them objectionable.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Most all sales calls have a private or no info showing about the call. When you get that showing answer with your state Attorney General's Office, How may I help you? My DDs use to do this before the do not call list was available. When I can get a word in I say Put me on the company's do not call list.

I don't understand how telemarketers stay in business. What type person would buy anything from a telemarketer ?
Old 08-19-2014, 07:34 AM

I usually speak some stupid made up language when they call. In chinese you could say "Way" which is hello, or Ohla for spanish and then jibber jabber. It has stopped a lot of them. Being a former Bell employee I can tell you, most all large companies have moved their telemarketers, service depts, collections etc to India and others. They came here to learn, then moved back to teach. The cost of doing business is very cheap in other countries. I myself when I had to call for technical support I would get them, and I refused to talk to them. I just kept saying I don't understand you, speak english, can you get me someone who speaks english. Oh, I love to p.o. many of them, just because there is no reason to have it move overseas.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

i tried, and it wouldn't take my phone number with the area code. weird
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

i tried, and it wouldn't take my phone number with the area code. weird

I used to have a house with electric heat. the oil co would call every week, once i told them to come on over and fill er up. they walked around the house with the hose and couldn't find a spout. they never called again.

had a friend that would make appts with them when they wouln;t take no for an answer, she was never home!!
Old 08-21-2014, 10:42 PM

I am so rude ... I just hang up.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:19 PM

Some years ago, I used to share a flat with a friend. The phone was registered in her name. There were all those phone calls with people asking for her by name, and in the beginning I was very polite and helpful and wanted to take a message etc. until I figured out that they were just trying to sell stuff! One day, I just had hung up on two or three of those when within the minute I got another phone call: "This is ... company (I didn't catch their name). Could I speak to [my flatmate], please?" As I just had enough of those kind of people, I said: "She is not here - and if she'd be here, she'd still not buy anything from you!" To my embarrassment it turned out that it was a bookshop where my friend had ordered something and the lady called to let her know it had arrived!