Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could quilt your own quilt? >

If you could quilt your own quilt?

If you could quilt your own quilt?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 PM

I have a few places around me where I can rent the machines for about $30 per hour after investing in supplies and a class. I haven't done it because I can have it done for me for the same or less money. I haven't asked many questions, but I've noticed that they encourage pantographs. If I'm going to rent a machine, I would prefer to make my quilting more personal.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:37 PM

WOW!! I sure would. I have 8 tops right now that need quilted and no funds to have them quilted. TOO expensive around here. I might even be able to quilt the charity baby quilts fancy
Old 08-23-2014, 03:50 PM

i'm not able to buy a la I would love to do that but I wouldn't be able to sit there all the hours it would take.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:45 PM

There is a shop here that rents the machines for $25. an hour. I've not used it but know many who like doing it
Old 08-23-2014, 07:26 PM

One thing I would suggest is that you get machines that rarely have problems and when they do have problems, that the company offers 24/7/365 free tech service so they can walk you through the fix. I bought my Innova 9 months after piecing my first quilt and love that I can call their tech service, any time, any day. I don't have to call them often because my machine rarely has any problems. Another cost to consider is thread...I use Superior Threads, expensive but so worth it! I would suggest selling pre-wound bobbins for a price that includes the cost of the top thread - it is easier to count the number of bobbins purchased then to try to figure out how many yards of thread have been used and you don't have to worry about winding bobbins. Superior sells pre-wound bobbins at a decent price, especially when you have a business account. Oh, when you are considering which brand of longarm to buy, I would definitely suggest one that uses the M bobbins...when you have the L size, you are constantly needing to change the bobbins.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:59 AM

The LQS near me rents out an Avante and a Sweet 16. To rent the Avante you take a $50.00 class. Their hourly rates are very reasonable, $75 for 4 hours or $125 for 7 hours. You provide leaders, batting, and any marking equipment (pounce, rulers, etc.). They provide thread (they will order any colors you need ahead of time), and have a selection of pantographs and groovy boards. The Sweet 16 is even cheaper—I believe a $30 class and $15.00 per hour rental.
They are a full service LQS and machine dealer, so my guess is that they are making money by getting people in the door. I’m sure a lot of people renting the machine end up buying fabric, supplies, etc. while they are there. I am going to take the class in the winter this year.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:11 PM

In a heartbeat!