Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Note to self >

Note to self

Note to self

Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by joyce888 View Post
Don't you ever use marking pencils/chalk again!!! I'm washing my quilt for the second time and hoping and praying the marks will come out this time. I spent so much time using a stencil to mark a quilting design in the blocks and border only for it not to come out when I tried to use a damp cloth. Please keep your fingers, toes, etc. crossed for me.

My heart is breaking for you. Hope you can remove the marks.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:57 AM

I have started using Crazy Art color pencils. I've not had any issues yet they wash out beautifully, however I've only used the light colored ones. A heck of lot cheaper then buying special named marking pens. My grandsons don't even miss them. When I had an issue with lead pencils I was told to use Dawn and scrub the lines gently with an old toothbrush let soak. That worked. You may want to try.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I had problems with blue and yellow chalk in the past. I only use white now.
I have use white Clover powered WHITE chalk and never had a problem during 2 decades but when I tried their BLUE chalk, it has STILL not come out. EVERYONE please learn from OUR mistake.

TEST!! TEST!!! TEST!!! ! TEST !!!!!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Well two washings and a lot of Shout stain remover took almost all of it out. Still a bit left where it was heavy quilted over. To answer questions on what I used: started out with disappearing ink pens but they seemed to run out of ink quickly, then tried the Dritz fat markings pencils but they had to be sharpened continuously, then tried the Dritz mechanical pencil that comes with the box of different colors and white chalk and that's what I used the most. I did use the green and blue colors. I honestly didn't think I would have a problem because when I marked my practice piece the color came off easily when I used a damp cloth and it was on Kona cotton. I will post a pic today of the finished quilt.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 AM

Better safe than sorry, I always say. I use a purple felt tip. I don't know the brand name because I think I wore it off -- anyhow, I do bits at a time because it just disappears on me. I am speaking of the ink!! If I don't get into place what I have to after using the pen for marking, it just fades away in to never-never land. Knowing me and my ways, this is the safest I have ever used. I got it at JoAnn's. I love it and is a perfect gift to a quilter, but just buy one - they last quite a while and you sure don't want it drying up on you. I have been using the same pen for around 1-1/2 - 2 years now. Just keep the cover on tight. It's a good 50% off buy!

Speaking of 50% off, I got an email from JoAnn's the other day- a Happy Birthday to me --- 20% off of anything regular priced and/or sale priced and it is for a total purchase. I CAN HANDLE THAT! I can get my batting and quilt backing off for approximately 40-70% off.

Happy Birthday to me! Edie
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM

I also learned the hard way! I made a beautiful wall hanging for my forever friend only to find out that the yellow chalk I used on white would not come out. I brushed it, washed it, did everything I could think of to get the yellow our but it would not come. So now the quilted piece sits in a drawer and was never given away. I am so afraid to use anything to mark my quilts now. No matter what anyone suggests I am too afraid to get that far again only to have the same thing happen.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

I learned a long time ago to use a dry cloth like felt or wool to erase chalk. Like they use on chalk boards. I also have use a make-up brush (never used for make up). Water will set chalk and smear. It's kind of like if someone tracks mud in your house on carpet. It needs to be left to dry so it can be vacuumed. That has been my experience. As far as marking pencils, I'm not a fan. I tested a couple on a sample block I keep( actually a light and dark). Friend of mine tries to remove the markings as she goes after quilting that area. She also doesn't mark until she knows she is going to work on it within a couple days. I would let it dry then try to vacuum an see if that helps.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I learned a long time ago to use a dry cloth like felt or wool to erase chalk. Like they use on chalk boards. I also have use a make-up brush (never used for make up). Water will set chalk and smear. It's kind of like if someone tracks mud in your house on carpet. It needs to be left to dry so it can be vacuumed. That has been my experience. As far as marking pencils, I'm not a fan. I tested a couple on a sample block I keep( actually a light and dark). Friend of mine tries to remove the markings as she goes after quilting that area. She also doesn't mark until she knows she is going to work on it within a couple days. I would let it dry then try to vacuum an see if that helps.
A net scrubby is what I use to "dust" off chalk--you are right--not moisture!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 PM

Phew! So glad you got the marks out. I was told recently by a local quilt shop to throw out all the colored pencils that come with the Dritz marker and only use the white for this very reason. I haven't used any of mine yet but now I think I will follow their advice.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 PM

I bought a yellow chaco liner and then read about them being hard to get out. It's still in the package. So I still just use white chaco liner (with cornstarch in it-I'm too cheap to buy a refill) and a hera marker for light fabrics. My sister bought me some Sewline brand pencils but I've only used them on cutting lines or wrong sides of fabric so far.