Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you do it >

How do you do it

How do you do it

Old 08-28-2014, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
Used heat and bond on a row of the row by row pattern. It wouldn't stay stuck and was very difficult to sew down. Tried a smaller needle which didn't work. I bought several yards of it but may just throw it away unless some one has a suggestion on how it worked for you. Steam a seam to be back in my LQS in October but I hate to throw 4 yards of the other away.
i use heat HeatNBond light and I do think fresh is better but use steam and hot setting pressing on both sides of the fabric and it works for me. I use it all the time.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:10 PM

I had read somewhere that heat and bond (as well as others) have a shelf life. I am having the same problem with my current project using heat and bond. I figured the reason was that it was purchased close to a year ago since I have used this product quite successfully in the past.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:27 PM

I would contact Therm O Web (800-323-0799). I had an issue once with Wonder Under and called Pellon & their Customer Service was super helpful. I just left a voicemail & the lady called me back less than 24 hours later with all sorts of helpful ideas that saved my quilt top. It turned out that one of my fabrics apparently wasn't 100% cotton, but she managed to help me make it work anyways.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

I am having a problem with wonder under 805. It is coming loose on machine appliqué and I followed all directions to a T. It was bought in Late June from a very busy shop so it should be fairly new stock.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:34 AM

The thing I don't like about Heat & Bond is that if you get the iron too hot, it won't fuse.
I like Steam a Seam 2 much better.
Sharon
Old 08-29-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
There are a number of different 'Heat & Bond's '...it is important to make sure you get the. Heat & Bond Lite. Which is made to be sewn, is not stiff. The regular heat & bond is more a craft item, non-sewable and not for laundered projects. Also, unlike steam a seam which you use steam for Heat & Bond is fused with a dry iron, so, if you used steam that could be why it did not hold. I've tried most of the fusible products on the market and for me Heat & Bond Lite is my favorite, sorry you had a problem with it. Did your (yards of it) not have the instructions with it? You can visit the website for the usage instructions. I'm at work & cannot check for sure but I know you have to hold the iron in each spot for something like 4-8 seconds, then lift, reposition iron... And use a dry iron on cotton setting. One thing though- you didn't mention what fabric you were using, I have found some batiks do not take well to fusibles, prewashing with detergent- no fabric softener and no sizing or starch added to the fabric gives the best outcome with all of the fusibles
I agree with these comments also got notice from my suppliers steam a seam in 2 to4 weeks
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
i use it like most people use toilet paper. I use it almost every week.
Bwaa haaa haaaa!!! This is hilarious on so many levels!!! Thanks for the laugh, Lynnie!!!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by omaluvs2quilt View Post
I'm not real crazy about it either...was sad to see the original steam a seam lite go away. Still looking for a viable replacement
I used a product called "MistyFuse" for my applique work, great results, not available here in Australia so I had to get mine from Seattle, it does not make the applique work stiff. There are demonstrations of "MistyFuse" on Utube.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:38 PM

I had some heat n bond I couldn't work with at all. I wrote the company and they sent me a replacement yard.... worth a try. I think sometimes they have a bad lot.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:07 PM

have you tried a different heat setting