Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice for beginner please:  is this a good deal? >

Advice for beginner please: is this a good deal?

Advice for beginner please: is this a good deal?

Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Does she have ALL the accessories that came with the machine? Genuine Pfaff feet are not inexpensive to purchase, also is the accessory attachment/box with the machine? What about the carrying case/cover and manuals? Is she the only owner of the machine? If the answer is 'No.' to any of these questions I would walk away and not give the machine another thought. If it is missing accessories and or she can't find them, what does that tell you about how she cares for her machine and other equipment? My sewing room may get to being a mess but I know where every foot is for every machine in here. Maybe I'm anal when it comes to keeping machines and their parts together.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:03 AM

I have a Pfaff 7550 and just love it. It's been a good machine every since I bought it 20 years ago. The only thing I could say is that I don't believe that Pfaff is making replacement parts for it any more since it's so old. My dealer tried to get tension discs for my machine and we couldn't find them anywhere. Pfaff didn't even have any. I would find out what the warranty covers, but if it is rebuilt, I would go for it.
Bonnie K
Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 AM

I do my piecing on a Pfaff machine that is older than the 7550 (a 1472). I use it rather than my high end sewing/embroidery machine for piecing because I love the integrated dual feed (INT). I would make an offer lower than $500 and see what happens.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:23 AM

I have a 7530 (same era, not quite as many features) and love it, but it is an older machine. A friend had the 1472(?) which is a tad older and just bought a new machine because our dealer couldn't get parts to it or it would be too expensive to fix. They're great machines, but if there's no guarantee, $500 sounds like a lot. If you can afford it, I'd buy a new machine.
I think I'd still buy Pfaff since my IDF really IS that important to me. My friend got a new one for around $1200 I think. Her new one is almost TOO automatic, as she hates the fact that she can't manually raise the pressed foot to move her fabric just a tiny tad.
You'll have to let us know what you decide.
Judy (with a J)
Old 09-04-2014, 07:52 AM

The 7550s are good mahines they are workhorses if the shop is giving a one year warranty on the work that says a lot. Ours does not do that. For a good basic machine from this series $500 is not a high price. It has over 150 decoratve stitches at least built in Nd the embroidery cards are available on ebay. I have two of these machines for my shop and use them everyday for quilting and repairs. While the throat is not huge you can still do some quilting on it. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 AM

If you are happy with your present machine, why do you want to change? I have 3 machines different ages. My 40 year old Kenmore is my favorite, but I cannot get a FMQ foot (darning) foot to fit on it. My second favorite is a basic straight stitch Brother that I used almost exclusively for quilting and piecing. I have a Computerized Viking Sapphire with all the bells and whistles that I like for the bells and whistles - different stitches etc - but has never worked well for free motion quilting. So just because it is a good deal may not be a reason to buy it, IMHO.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:39 AM

I would definitely have the machine checked out by a Pfaff authorized dealer, especially since it's been "rebuilt". I have a 7510 from 1995, and I have to say this is my go-to machine when I am quilting. The IDF system is awesome.

Good luck with your decision and let us know what happens.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:49 AM

This machine is being offered on E-Bay for $600 - 900.00, but it doesn't mean they will sell for that. From looking at the picture on the ad, $700.00 (less machine) seems high to me for the contents in the stack of boxes shown.

When I was starting out, I ordered an assorted flat fold bundle from Marshall's Dry Goods plus 2 bolts of blender fabric (black and off-white). Around $350.00 for the lot including shipping for 130 yards of fabric. You have to ask to be a wholesale member, it doesn't cost anything and as long as you don't live in Arkansas they don't charge sales tax.

Here is an idea of what a 100 yard assorted bundle looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]490276[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]490277[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	fabric1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	490276   Click image for larger version

Name:	fabric2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	490277  

Last edited by Belfrybat; 09-04-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 PM

I teach quilting in my home, and my Pfaff 7570 is my go to machine, that none of my students use. It's MY machine. I've had it for 8 or 9 years, (it was a used machine when we bought it for $1000. And I love it. I do advanced quilting and piecing on it. I'd say $500 is a good deal for it. Go for it.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:58 PM

[QUOTE=MarleneC;6872862]
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I did a search on this machine on eBay, for completed listings:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Sewing-Fabri...mplete=1&rt=nc

This looks like the machine that Nancy Zieman used for so many years on her Sewing with Nancy program until she went to Babylock.
Yes, you are right this is the machine Nancy Zieman used to use on her Sewing with Nancy program, and she really did like. I think it is a great machine.