Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Learning to FMQ. >

Learning to FMQ.

Learning to FMQ.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM

Well, I'd say you learned pretty well! Very nice.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:23 PM

You have done a wonderful job. Looks great.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Your quilting is amazing!
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 AM

Wow. wish I was as talented. I just FMQed a table runner and I can only manage loops and swirls and there is no rhyme or rhythm to mine.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 AM

I have made a couple quilts now. And I'm not sure if this was the first or second. Each time I do one I learn something new. I knew nothing about fmq or even much about quilting before a year and a half ago when I fell in love with a modern quilt piece. I've taken several Craftsy classes. My favorite by far is Jacquie Gering, Improvistational Piecing. I made all 4 quilts she designed, although I changed them all a little bit either because I just wanted to or because I didn't have enough fabric. I loved them all. The quilt above is a modified Jacquie quilt. The quilting, I took the class Design it - Quilt it with Cindy Needham - Craftsy. I followed her guidance and teaching to sew the sun.

Thanks for all your nice comments. Have a great day.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

As a person who has FMQed for almost 40 years, all I can say is AMAZING. Congrats.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:47 PM

Default Learning to FMQ - the machine

Thank you for the nice comments but I don't know that it has much to do with lots of talent. I think it is the machine. I have a machine fetish, I suppose. Right now I have 5 regular sewing machines. I am trying to sell at least 1 and I'm giving 2 away. I couldn't get the fmq down on any one of them. I bought special feet, I sawed them apart. The thread just kept breaking. And I really, really, really wanted to do it. I knew I would love it. Then I saw a mid arm machine and thought maybe I could swing getting one of those. But they are really expensive too. I mentioned my frustration to a friend who owns used industrial sewing machine business. He gave me an old darning machine and said try this. It didn't work as it sat and my original idea didn't work. But I didn't give up and I created a table piece out of plexiglass and it worked perfectly. And for zero money too. It sews fast and strong and I never get a thread break. It doesn't do like a long arm and I have a tendency to worry about my fabric on the right. I've figured out in my head how to fix this and will once I find another good piece of plexiglass. It is so much fun and so addicting. I did get a couple weeks ago a used Mega Quilter on a big ole frame for so little $ I couldn't pass it up. I didn't play with it much yet as I ordered a piece to make the base of the machine larger so I could use rulers and guides. I'll let you know how that goes once I get going with it.

Here is a picture of the old darner turned fmq machine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	darner.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	490901   Click image for larger version

Name:	darner finished.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	490902  
Old 09-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

terrific quilting