Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What light do you use? >

What light do you use?

What light do you use?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
I have two Ott lites....a table lamp and a floor lamp. I, too, drag the floor lamp to wherever I will be hand sewing. The table lamp is next to my machine. I use it mainly for ripping.
I have the same lights and move them around to where I need them. Wouldn't be without them!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:20 PM

I have a table Ott light, and I got it at Hobby Lobby. Used one of their 40% off coupons. Love it!
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 AM

I use halogen desk lamps and move them wherever I need to see well. I have one that stays by my chair in the living room where I do my hand quilting and have another that I move as needed in my sewing room. Have gotten them very reasonably priced at various stores. Only down side that I have - they do produce A LOT of heat.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:27 AM

I have replaced the light bulbs in my floor lamps and my table lamp with Ott lite bulbs. What a difference! And no investment in new and expensive Ott lamps, which fall apart quite rapidly. These bulbs are affordable with a coupon from JoAnn Fabrics.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:48 AM

I have 5 Ikea lights. I got them for $10 each. The have a flexible neck so you can point them where you need them and they have a high intensity bulb. I keep one by my recliner and use it when I hand sew. The other 4 are next to my machines.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:57 AM

You might be seeing a pattern here! It's not necessarily about the wattage, it's about the kind of light you're seeing. I also sew in an upstairs bedroom on the back of the house. It has only one small window so daytime or night, lighting is always an issue. I simply replaced all the bulbs in the overhead fan light as well as the desk lamp by my machine with daylight bulbs. They are definitely more expensive than regular bulbs, but have made a huge difference to my aging eyes.

I also have three small cliip-on LED lamps from Lowe's that I have strategically placed throughout the room for task lighting. One is at the ironing board, one at the embroidery machine and one at the serger. These are not the tiny ones that clip onto the machine itself. These have a flexible metal goose-neck about 18" and about 30 very bright LED bulbs in each. They were about $20 each.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

I have to have as much light as possible in the house. I don't like darken rooms. I turn on every light as soon as I get up. My sewing room has double windows and I still need two floor lamps, two overhead lights, several task lights, and all my machines have the light strip. If I could have a skylight for the whole roof I would.

I also have three small cliip-on LED lamps from Lowe's that I have strategically placed throughout the room for task lighting. One is at the ironing board, one at the embroidery machine and one at the serger. These are not the tiny ones that clip onto the machine itself. These have a flexible metal goose-neck about 18" and about 30 very bright LED bulbs in each. They were about $20 each.
A friend brought several of those lights to our sew day and they are very nice. I keep forgetting to buy some when I go Lowes. They have a very bright light.

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-11-2014 at 04:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:56 AM

Ott lights are the best, in my opinion. I have several, but my favorite is the floor lamp, beside my chair in the living room, where I do all my hand stitching!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

where in the world do you find day light bulbs? I hate bulb shopping. it's so confusing now with all the curly bulbs out there that i simply hate. the wattage is not what it used to be either. my fridge has LED lights and looks like an airport runway when i open the door. I've been wondering about LED lights....
Old 09-11-2014, 07:59 AM

I use a lamp like that also, with an Ott bulb in it! No need to buy the oh so expensive Ott lamp.

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I have a great spot lite with the articulated metal snake type neck - it's a table/desk lamp - but the neck can be moved and angled toward my work - or at my sewing machine. I love it. Just FYI...there is a measure that tells how much more light you need at each age to see the same as you did a decade before --- i think i've about reached the stage where 60 watts has become 200 watts !!! OH..i bought the lamp at Walmart.