Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 AM

Bib, those look great and I had noticed the directional fabric and thought how good you did to make it all work.
I am making a medallion quilt for guild. Using Carriem's center from this thread and morphing it (sort of) into Brat's that is pictured I think on p. 87. I just love that quilt. So have grown into a rectangle and am now needing to add the braid. Do I need another stopper border? Don't need it for size but not sure it will look right to just go into the braids. Brat's sure does, but I am not sure about colors, etc. What do you think and do you have any advice. Here are some pictures and not duplicated, I hope this time.
Center so far.
Two fabrics in dark and light which is how I see Brat's.
Adding some more to give it more pop.
Really brightening it up and those colors all appear somewhere in the top.
Should I have the light side of the braid next to the center and would that work as a sort of barrier border? Just wanted your input and suggestions. Sure miss finding something new here every morning. Always have to check occasionally and see what has been added. Hope you all had a good summer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4528 (Small).JPG
Views:	846
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	492022   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4529 (Small).JPG
Views:	861
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	492023   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4531 (Small).JPG
Views:	839
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	492024   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4532 (Small).JPG
Views:	816
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	492025   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4533 (Small).JPG
Views:	873
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	492026  

Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 AM

Okay, I give up! Had one post ready and had duplicate pictures. So deleted the whole thing and started over. Now the same thing. Sorry to take so much space up I don't know what I did wrong!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:12 AM

You didn't do anything wrong - it's a malfunction on the board, so I've been told. They are working to correct it.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:23 AM

Bib: Love both of your quilts but that Peacock is on beyond. Love your embroidery, colors, just speaks to me. Quilter65: Just some thoughts. I would put the yellow in the center in a border. I think it would re-emphasize that beautiful center. I then would put a little of the darker colors in the braid to tie it together but probably a bigger percentage of the brights and mediums
Old 09-18-2014, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by bibliostone View Post
AnngelAnne, I have no problem with you using the border, but I just did it on graph paper, although I'm sure others have also done it. I did a single ribbon on the "Chair of Bowlies" quilt and thought there was a lot of white space that could be filled in. That quilt used three 3 in blocks. All the blocks are half square triangle. The peacock one used three 2 in blocks. My only advice is do not use directional fabric. It may not look like it, but one of the fabrics in the peacock is directional and it was a pain to make sure it was always going in the correct direction.
Thanks for the suggestions and the help Bibliostone. Also having the two quilts side by side was a great help on the look and idea too. You do wonderful work!!!
Old 09-18-2014, 03:44 AM
dd

Quilter65 - I think the lighter colors would look better on the inside, next to the quilt, with the darker colors on the outside. You need to pull those center colors out.
Old 09-19-2014, 09:52 AM

You guys have made amazing quilts. I have to remove the green round on mine I just don't care for it then I can redo it simply and add a fun blue round to end it. just have to find the energy and the time! yikes. Never enough of either. I am happy I am down to two quilts to finish one is this one and another a Christmas gift that now will be done with luck for Valentines Day. such as it is two is better than 6! I swore this year I would use up all my UFO's of course started two others (hence the two left to do) and it feels really good to clear out that box. If I had energy I would quilt up the two Halloween quilt tops left in there but think I will give one away and quilt the other. less work to do. I know. Dork but the fun is making the tops for me. get those done and its well... boring. I just love making the new designs then quilting? one I am horrid at it and two rather not do a poor job on something I have worked hard on for months. Just don't shoot me for telling you my little bad secret. I am who I am
Old 09-19-2014, 10:18 AM

I am still following along.....you are all amazing! Just on the off chance you have not heard ...there is a
Mystery Train Ride #7
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...o-t253413.html

so far we only have fabric list...the cutting clues start tomarrow. Hugs !
Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 AM

Great advice on those borders, lovely photos ladies, keep on plugging.... and I hope to get back to mine when things slow down come cooler weather.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:38 AM

I have a huge favor to ask. I have been MIA d to husband's strokes and need to get back to this quilt. Can someone please give me a general idea of where all the posts are for this? I really, really appreciate it.