Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gifts for coworkers? ! >

Gifts for coworkers? !

Gifts for coworkers? !

Old 09-21-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks, Everyone. I feel the same way. I think I just needed some reinforcement from others who have been or are in the same predicament. I feel this way periodically and usually get over it, but just the other day it roused itself again when a few of the "girls" gave me a Pandora bracelet (free right now with $100 charm purchase) and 3 charms. They said it was because of all I do for them. Now, I don't feel like I do anything special for them, so I feel very guilty and tried very hard to refuse it. I feel like this is out of hand and this is why I posted my question. However, I recognize that once you start, there is no stopping.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bestjlb View Post
Thanks, Everyone. I feel the same way. I think I just needed some reinforcement from others who have been or are in the same predicament. I feel this way periodically and usually get over it, but just the other day it roused itself again when a few of the "girls" gave me a Pandora bracelet (free right now with $100 charm purchase) and 3 charms. They said it was because of all I do for them. Now, I don't feel like I do anything special for them, so I feel very guilty and tried very hard to refuse it. I feel like this is out of hand and this is why I posted my question. However, I recognize that once you start, there is no stopping.
Thank them profusely for the bracelet - wear it as often as you can - and if you can afford to - or want to - add a charm to two now and then to it.

Are you in a supervisory position? If yes, you probably are nicer and more helpful than most supervisors.

When did they give it to you? If it was at a "non-event" time (not birthday or Christmas) - take it as a token of appreciation and that it was meant as a "one-time" deal and that nothing further needed to be done.

(You probably are good at encouragement and "attagirls" and "attaboys")
Old 09-21-2014, 08:27 AM
ro
Banned

you may have great ideas to make this year and they dont cost alot of money; but as time goes on the gifts get more expensive. i agree w/most here, dont even start it.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 AM

I knit wool pincushions -- the wool yarn is costly and they take hours to knit. I have made a few for guild members (my choice), over the years. One member became friends with a new member (X) who wanted a knitted pincushion. She mentioned to me that "X" wanted a pincushion. I suggested that she make one for her. That ended that discussion and I doubt that "X" ever received a pincushion. I still make them, but I decide when and for whom.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:21 AM

Take in some special cookie or Christmas candy for all to share.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:36 AM

Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. I learned the hard way that coworkers, even though they seem like family when you are working- they are only the people you work with. Forget it.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

I have a similar situation where I have (this will be my 15th year) always made something for my managers (there are 16 of them) for Christmas. If I were you, I would make some Fabric Boxes and fill them with candy or some goodies. I did that and they loved them.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:52 AM

I think if you really want to make these small gifts you should. But if it adds stress to your life then you must ask yourself it is worth it?
I have a daughter with aspergers who lives independently. She has special people who drive her and do special things for her. This year I am making easy table runners and mug rugs from my scraps to show my gratitude. I started early and am having so much fun as I see the pile grow. It makes me feel good to know I'm using up my scraps. I will label each one with a special message. Bottom line is I am enjoying it. If you don't have the time and it's not fun, then giving may be done out of obligation. Only you can decide what is right for you.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 View Post
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should. I learned the hard way that coworkers, even though they seem like family when you are working- they are only the people you work with. Forget it.
What Quilter1 said. Make cookies or fudge or something that can be shared and call it 'good.' If you really must.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:48 AM

I would do whatever you wish to do…
I do this every year with a group who meet weekly. We have a cookie exchange at Christmas and I always make a little something extra..…each of these women are quite talented and some, beyond my skill but it makes me happy to do it, so I continue to do so each Christmas….
………..as I also do with a group high school (60 years out of school) friends. This group of ladies are not the craftsy type and they really do get a pleasure receiving these little handmade gifts…..
So I will continue to do this pleasant gesture until I can no longer perform the task…..
So I would say, if it gives one pleasure to do so, then do it……….