Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with these, please >

What to do with these, please

What to do with these, please

Old 09-25-2014, 04:26 AM

It's sad the tradition of wearing them to church is over. Maybe you should be a rebel and wear them again. My "crazy" Aunt decided she couldn't stand to part with all of her church hats and started wearing them again. Now, 1 year later there is a whole church full of ladies wearing them. I think everyone missed them but didn't have the nerve to wear them when no one else was wearing them. They even have some of the preschool girls wearing them. It's adorable.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:59 AM

There are ladies and girls who choose to wear the chapel veils and mantillas in our church.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:49 AM

With the smaller ones, you can drape them over bowls and spray with fabric stiffener to make lace bowls for a vanity or dresser top.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
You could have them framed.
This was also my first thought. And, the picture suggestion added to it was a neat idea too.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:25 AM
Swap Hosts

I make mantillas for a living and while I can appreciate your wanting to do something special with them, I am cringing at the thought of them being hacked apart! *sigh*
Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM

Thanks for all the good ideas. I like the idea of wearing them again - might start a trend here, too. That would save cutting them up.

I'll post pics when I do something, probably after the first of the year.

Fredda
Old 09-25-2014, 12:42 PM

I have some of those as well. They are keeping my cedar chest company for now. I have pictures of me wearing them in my Easter dress.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:22 PM

Oh, I remember when we had to wear mantillas or hats to church. If we didn't have either with us, we put a hankie on our heads.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM

As one who still wears my Mantillas, I would find a Church where they are still worn and donate them to be used by women who attend Mass without knowing that head coverings are used in that Catholic Church. This is done in one of our churches here in Albuquerque. My mom used the rounds, I prefer larger laces I've made for myself. )
Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM

These would be beautiful used on a fan quilt, if you wouldn't mind cutting them. Cut them with the lace pattern and hand stitch them after quilting into a semi-circle, down close to the bottom edge of the fans.The round ones can be placed sort of in a "spot of honor".You could make 2 lap quilts and each sister would have one. I'm not sure I have made my ideal clear,but this would be a special way to use these beautiful pieces.