Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with them now? >

What to do with them now?

What to do with them now?

Old 09-26-2014, 11:26 AM

I say donate them to a women's shelter. That way you'll be giving someone the comfort they so desperately need right then.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

just thought i'd say -there is a two color binding you could do if ever in that situation again of using a backing that doesn't go with the front of the quilt.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 AM

Well, I couldn't get rid of them. I love this one. It is gorgeous and bright in color. Of course if you don't want it, give it away. Ohhh. I would be sleeping under this one.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:01 PM

First I have to say I think it is absolutely Beautiful.....I love these colors and would be proud to have it on my bed. Color scheme or no. If you really want to move them on I would recommend a Children's home or Women's Shelter. Our guild makes quilts for both from donated fabrics and their are willing to take any colors. The Children's home prefers a certain size so you would want to check into that (because it makes it easier for the children to make their beds). Or some of the churches around here make graduations quilts for the seniors in their congregation maybe donated there since they are very clean and new.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:22 PM

I would have a hard time giving them away, too. The one you posted is beautiful. I think I would want to keep them in the family.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MaryMo View Post
I would have a difficult time parting with them, if only for because I made them for someone special. I am sure these quilts have a purpose that's not obvious right now. The one pictured is beautiful.
I agree. I would use them and love them. Who says a quilt has to match anything. When I am napping under one of my quilts, I really don't see the color but love the warmth. I also keep a quilt in my car trunk. You never know when a picnic will happen!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
just thought i'd say -there is a two color binding you could do if ever in that situation again of using a backing that doesn't go with the front of the quilt.
Thank you all for your suggestions, I really appreciate your thoughts! I am leaning toward donating rather than cutting them...
This was the third quilt I ever made, and the second one using all quilt-grade cottons. The first one was the one my MIL got (don't ask to see the binding on that one! Sheesh!) Golly, I was just a baby. I've learned SO much in the decades since, and have strived to become a master of bindings! Although I've not done a binding like this one since, I've never forgotten it and how perfectly it finished!
By the photo, it needs a LOT more ties. I didn't know back then how far to space them. But I'll probably just LAQ them, I so dislike tying.

Last edited by Baloonatic; 09-26-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:56 PM

I would use them on my own bed.
love the colors.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 PM

Do you have nieces or nephews, grandchildren? Maybe one of your other relatives would like them if they saw them.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:35 AM

You do have some choices here, I would keep as a "couch" quilt. My grandkids love a quilt to use over a table for a "tent". Picnic quilts are popular. Use on a regular bed under a bedspread if you live in a cold climate. Give to a charity. I don't care how old my quilts are I keep them and use them. I have one that is over 50 years old and has been used a lot. It is getting pretty ragged but it's fine for rough use. I like to carry an old one in the car in a pillowcase in case I get stranded in bad weather. Kids like the old ones to spread out and eat on in the Winter for a "Winter picnic". I don't worry about ruining my newer ones that way. There are lots of browns in both quilts and I think men would enjoy them.