Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice >

Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice

Quilts for my mom and MIL - need some advice

Old 09-29-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Cari I love this quilt, I was given a package of this type fabrics. Looks almost like it's the same colors. :-) I had no clue what to do with them. I am newbie yet, can you tell me how you made the pinwheel squares and what size they are? I would love to make this quilt for one of my granddaughters. :-) Love the brightness of the blue.
I cut the pieces with the AccuQuilt value die for the Go! Baby. I had just found it at Goodwill and wanted to give it a try. The squares in the quilt were cut 4-1/2" and the triangles are 2-1/2" on the sides.
I just sewed a colored triangle to a white triangle to make a square then sewed 4 squares together to make the pinwheel. Just make sure to sew each triangle pair together the same way so they spin the same direction. I think I sewed them all with the white triangle on top of the colored one.
The bright blue is actually a cotton sateen. I chose the color I liked best to go with my prints and that just happened to be it. I cut 2-1/2" strips for the sashing, or border strips, whatever you want to call them. I just wanted something to separate the squares from the pinwheels.
That's basically all there is to it. I made it up as I went along. Easy and quick.

Cari
Old 09-29-2014, 01:16 PM

Would it be possible to make a quilt with fabrics from their home? Husbands old clothes, or theirs. Can't take 'em all along! But something familiar may help with the transition.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I don't have pattern ideas for you, but I just wanted to share something. My mom moved into a senior apartment last month where the facility also has assisted living units. It seems that almost everyone has decorations on their outer door, and some of them are quilts. I have been wanting to make a quilt for my mother using some beautiful gladiola design fabric, and I think a door hanging will be fun. Door quilts can be changed with the season. They are conversation starters, which I think is helpful for new residents.
Having my Mom go into assisted living......something on the door helps them find their room. Also, just an idea, thoses fiddle quilts that have things for keeping their fingers busy are nice also.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:16 PM

I embroider my Aunt's full name on anything I make for her room in the nursing home. There might be other ladies with "Joan" as their first name and I doubt if anyone is "Joan Last Name". She has quite a collection because she wants everything to stay in her room.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:39 PM

That is very pretty. Thanks for showing it.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:49 PM

One thing I would suggest is that you incorporate the label with their full name and your name into the backing of the quilts so that they are quilted into the quilt...so they have a better chance of not getting lost or going home with someone else. Also, do sew the binding on with a machine (no hand sewing) because the quilts will be washed in hot water and tumbled in a hot dryer...unless you specify that you will take them home for cleaning and just know that mistakes will be made and they will wash them. 100% Cotton gives the best crinkle.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Beautiful! And if time is a factor, make the center bigger and put a plain border on it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
Egg Money Quilts is easy 1930's patterns from Quilt In A Day. It was the first quilt I did from a pattern.
I have been searching for this book since before they brought it back, but with my budget I can't afford to buy the new edition for $29.00 plus shipping, I will continue to look at every yard sale, Goodwill ect ect, hopefully I'll find it. If not I'll have to cut back on my fabric money to order the book
Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I love the 9 patch. I did something like that on point.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...l-t250205.html
Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 PM

I suggested a simple pattern featured by Eleanor Burns on Quilt in a Day. Here is the info: www.quiltinaday.com click on "television & video" / Media Theater / 3100 series / show #3103 "Dessert Time".