Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many? >

How many?

How many?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:42 PM

I have 14 bed sized quilts from queen to twin sizes. I've been quilting since 1988. Most of the quilts I make now are crib and twin size and they go to 2 charities that I sew them for.
Sharon in Texas
Old 10-04-2014, 02:42 PM

I take pictures of my quilting projects and put them in a small scrapbook. I have to call them projects cause a lot of it is wall hangings, table toppers, and bags. Been doing this since 2005 when I retired and have about 30 quilty things done and 30 bags of some sort. I usually give all my quilts away with in a bag or tote to family. Now working on one for my grand son and got one planned for a new step-great grandson..It's all fun and a learning experience. Got about 13 of my projects here in my home, all in use, and nothing tucked away....(good thing I have wall space and two bedrooms)

Last edited by csharp; 10-04-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
How many of your own quilts do you have in your house? I think I haven't been quilting as long as most of you. I've only given one small baby quilt away. So far just have a small collection of my own quilts that I love to use. As far as giving them away I think you never really know if people will want them or appreciate them, so I'm probably keeping most of mine. How big is this stack allowed to get? It's an addictive hobby that is so so fun and the world is full of quilters, we don't need anymore, yet I don't think I can ever quit.
I can't emagine anyone not wanting a quilt given to me. I have had a couple given to me and in the winter time I have those two quilts, and a comforter over me and still I have to heat a rice bag to put next to my back to stay warm. I freeze every winter. Am trying to save enough money to buy a small fireplace and burn some gas on the worse nights and days. I commend all of you for your intelligence on quilting. I am working hard to learn how to at least get some tops made.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:54 PM

I agree with those who find it hard to give them away. I have quite a few that I've made but I have also given a quilt to almost every family member. I think the most loved quilt that I made is one I made early on in my many years of quilting. I am currently replacing every square that has a hole worn through because my son can't bear to part with it. It will look very different when I'm finished with it because I couldn't find a fabric even close to the original but it should have several more years of wear after I replace these patches and the binding.
Old 10-05-2014, 03:40 AM

I have about 4 here and have given away many. All but one have been thanked me for my efforts. And that one really hurt. She was a student of mine years ago, and I made it for her son. So I'll be more careful with future gifts.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:08 AM

My only bed-sized quilt so far is my GFG, and that one is on my own bed. Other than that, I've only done 6 baby quilts so far, 4 of which I've already given away. The other two are still with me but just waiting for an "opportunity" (my "quilting addiction" got ahead of the baby announcements ). I'm right now working on another quilt (not sure yet how big it will turn out). I'm thinking of using it as spread for the guest bed. However, I don't think I will keep all my quilts in the future as I cannot display more than a couple on my beds, and for me there is no point in having quilts in the cupboard, I think they need to be used! I'm sure my mom would be thrilled to receive one, so lets see... It's just that it takes quite a while to make one without a sewing machine...
Old 10-05-2014, 06:46 AM

I don't have many of my own quilts, although I have only been seriously quilting for a couple of years. Most of my quilts are given away to family and friends, and also two commissioned memory quilts. My favorite bed-sized quilt is a Grandmother's Flower Garden, but it doesn't get used much because I can't seem to keep the dogs off my bed and after all that hand sewing I don't want to see it destroyed.

One of these days I intend to make a spectacular quilt just for myself. I just hope I live long enough to actually get around to it.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:51 AM

I didn't count mine. All I know is I have too many and no good way to store them. Piled on top of each other and on furniture. Any Ideas?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:55 AM

All the beds in our house have at least 3 quilts available all the time, but I have gifted many many more
Old 10-05-2014, 01:46 PM

At the moment I have about 18, 8 of which will disappear between now and Christmas but all but two of the others will say with me. Three are mine and mine alone and the others are just experiments that need to be donated or kept for emergency quilts when the power goes off or I have extra grand children spending the night. Honestly, I plan on giving most of my efforts away when I make them. Just my thing.