Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm at a total loss for this one..... >

I'm at a total loss for this one.....

I'm at a total loss for this one.....

Old 10-05-2014, 07:59 AM

I like the 3-D effect suggestion, very similar to the pintrest pic. Since it's a xmas panel, you need to find some softer xmas fabrics to use with it. I also like the suggestion of fussy cutting. for me, I probably would cut the fairies out and then start from there. I'm not a big poinsettia person.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:28 AM

I think you should go with it, rather than fight it. Pretend you love it, and make the decisions you would make for fabric you love, that you are trying to complement, rather than trying to tone it down. I think it's a lovely panel, and it will surely be to someone's taste, even if it isn't to yours.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Sage and coral is a very popular color pallet these days, and these will always be those that go crazy for these fairies. I think you could have quite a special quilt.
Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 AM

I would cut the red off the border and make two borders using black and the medium green color on the leaves it will widen the background and make the fairies pop. No bright fabric on the borders.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I was gifted this fairy panel and my intention was to make into a donation quilt, but I just can't decide how to TONE IT DOWN and make it, frankly, less awful. It seem just to loud for a child's quilt and using any of the integral colours makes it even stronger. One of my friends suggested turning it into a kaleidoscope quilt. She wasn't kidding. So far that's got my vote. I know some of you will love this panel, so tell me how to soften it and make a pretty quilt from it.

Call them Christmas angels and then the colors won't bother you. I LOVE IT. I've always heard young ones like bright colors.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:07 AM

I love this panel and almost ordered it myself. I think I would remove the two outside borders and leave the narrow green one. Then I would add a slightly wider pink or lighter red one. Finally, I would finish with a wider green border the color of the leaves in the panel. Whatever you chose I believe an older young girl will love it. That sounds contradictory, but I meant at 6years of age to probably 13.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:07 PM

I agree with feline fanatic. Get rid of those borders, and use the softest tones you can of the other colors.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Get rid of the red border and the inside border next to the red. That screams NOT child. Then go with suggestions from above. . .if you can decide between the good suggestions!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Are children in Ontario caught up in pastels rather than bright, primary colors? All the children I know would love this quilt just the way it is, not only because of the wonderful graphics, but also because of the bright, wonderful colors! I would find a green to match or harmonize with the green in the panel, put a four inch border on it all the way around, quilt it, and then I might like it so well, I couldn't give it up! froggyintexas
Old 10-05-2014, 01:47 PM

I would keep it just like it is, put a back on it and use it for a wall hanging during Christmas, OR, give it to a little girl who loves fairies. NOthing wrong with all that red, just a matter of taste. I love it. ;-)