Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am just sick about this.  My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!! >

I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

I am just sick about this. My new pegboard system warped my long rulers!!!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:02 AM

Try this. Take one ruler. Lay it outside in the sun on a flat surface. Put weight on the ruler to flatten it. Leave it alone until the sun goes down and everything cools down.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:23 AM

Hehe, it's always a little funny when people respond w/o reading the whole thread.

For your table top, hollow-core doors work pretty well too and might be cheaper than solid wood.

Glad you figured out the issue and can continue to enjoy your new space! It looks great.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Easy fix. Just get a piece of plywood 1/2" thick and cut the exact measurements of the table. Not the measurement of the cutting mat. If you get the plywood 1/2" and size accordingly (make sure it isn't warped). Have DH use a level also. That should take care of it. you might want to paint it.

My Cutting table is the thick plywood also and it works great. I covered it with peel and stick floor tiles so it's smooth
Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Perhaps an easier fix to your table dilemma......try putting a brace of some type under the table in the middle. Maybe a strong curtain rod, or maybe DH can come up with something. If you can get the center of the table flat you'd be good to go.
LOVELY a sewing room, by the way.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:57 AM

Your sewing area is so great with all that light. What I see is your GAS FIREPLACE. The pilot light is on and warm. I think this is why your long rulers are warped. It doesn't take a lot of heat, but just steady heat. I'm so sorry, have you thought about turning your rulers over and hang them again in the same places to try to warp them back. Good luck, but I would move all of the rulers away from the fireplace.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:05 AM

Your room is lovely!! Congrats on it and the machine. I have two of those wooden ruler holders (can't remember what they are called) that I use to store my rulers in. I hate to hear about it. If you figure out the reason, please post so we will know!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

​Update was added. The table had a bow in it so the rulers wouldn't lay flat.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 AM

WOW I am so jealous of this beautiful sewing room. WOW I would live in there. LOL I would probably sew and sew and never come out. Beautiful. I do agree with the others on the peg board, and I may be wrong but it looks in the picture that the top piece is flat against the wall and the second lower piece bows out a little to accomodate the tiles, that would cause the problems. Now, I am wondering if you can take one of your rulers, put it in warm oven, very very low and warm it up and then lay it flat and put something heavy on it until it cools and then it would be back to normal?? Wish I had a DH to do such a nice thing for me. :-) You are very very lucky. Again, it's beautiful
Old 10-10-2014, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Easy fix. Just get a piece of plywood 1/2" thick and cut the exact measurements of the table. Not the measurement of the cutting mat. If you get the plywood 1/2" and size accordingly (make sure it isn't warped). Have DH use a level also. That should take care of it. you might want to paint it.

My Cutting table is the thick plywood also and it works great. I covered it with peel and stick floor tiles so it's smooth
Old 10-10-2014, 06:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the other posts. That sunlight coming thru those windows even tho it might be indirect will fade your fabrics and is the culprit that warped your rulers. It is the heat generated from that sunlight. Sunlight is great for sewing but keep your fabrics hidden from it otherwise some will fade. I know that from experience. I didn't realize that my collection of reproduction prints, mostly Aunt Grace's, were faded by indirect sunlight that occurred for only an hour each day. NOW, I am much more cautious with dealing with sunlight. It can be your friend and enemy.