I found this vintage singer

Old 10-17-2014, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Not being a Singer isn't a "bad thing" but it does mean that the Singer Collectors aren't going to be interested. This is basically a "generic" Japanese made machine, and while it's probably fine for sewing, it's got little to no value as a collectable item.

This only comes into play because you asked "what it might be worth?" It's basically worth the cost of the servicing put into it - example : unserviced, $25 or less, with a full $100 servicing, then it's worth $125 or so.

And remember, my opinion is worth what you paid for it LOL!!
Thanks Cathy.......that does help. It is a very pretty machine BUT I do want it to work also. Going to check it out further today. My DREAM machine is a Lady Kenmore. Can't remember the model number just now, but it is a beauty. Seems hard to find.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by papple00 View Post
Is that a bad thing? Don't know much about older machines, so just wondering. I found another pic just like this online that included the name plate and it says "Dial n Sew"
Not at all. I'm answering the question as to whether the machine is a Singer.

The term 'Japanese clone' seems a little demeaning but these machines are usually very good, sometimes better than Singer machines.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Take photos of it as much as you can and try to get all the numbers from it, whether it be serial or model. Anything will help. Check any drawers that may have any information. Take a denim scrap with you to test. I always have a test kit with me. My denim scrap is 6" square. I fold one side to see how it handles the different layers. If I can't get a good photo of numbers, I type them into my "Memo App" on my phone or email them to myself.
Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
It's a pretty shade of blue and not badly marked up. Take some fabric if you can and test the stitch and all the functions. It isn't a "Singer" but it could still be a very nice machine. For what it's worth, it's only worth what you feel it's worth to you. Most machines aren't really "collectible" except to us crazies who love them and everyone has their favorites for one reason or another.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

There is a post today and the thread is "Dial 'N' Sew. Looks just like this machine.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
The term 'Japanese clone' seems a little demeaning but these machines are usually very good, sometimes better than Singer machines.
I'd add - of that era. Singer was quite a machine at one point in time, but like most companies, things changed and later Singers don't have the same durability as earlier ones.

When I started getting serious about sewing 35 years ago - new domestic use Singers weren't even considered as relaible enough for use in a home business by those I was working with. They wanted Viking, Elna or Bernina. I did contract work, and the Company found over time, that other machines didn't hold up and there was too much down time so the stopped hiring people that didn't own a top machine of one of those three Mfgs. However those three have since changed too - and new companies have emerged or improved. I haven't kept abreast of what machines are considered "top" anymore, I prefer using my vintage ones.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:47 AM

The Japanese started producing copies of Singer model 15s right after WWII. Those copies are called clones. Over time they introduced modifications to the basic design. That machine is far enough removed I would say it's more of a descendant than a clone.
The Japanese made millions of sewing machines and a lot of manufacturers would put whatever label that a buyer wanted on them. You can find the same basic machines branded multiple ways.
The quality of Japanese made machines tends to be very good. The machine you're looking at is probably a good solid machine but isn't really worth a whole lot.
Rodney
Old 10-17-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
Not at all. I'm answering the question as to whether the machine is a Singer.

It appears from some of the info I have been able to accumulate that it IS in fact a Dial n Sew and it sounds like it was probably made in Japan. Still checking though. Anxious to get a closer look.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The Japanese started producing copies of Singer model 15s right after WWII. Those copies are called clones. Over time they introduced modifications to the basic design. That machine is far enough removed I would say it's more of a descendant than a clone.
The Japanese made millions of sewing machines and a lot of manufacturers would put whatever label that a buyer wanted on them. You can find the same basic machines branded multiple ways.

The quality of Japanese made machines tends to be very good. The machine you're looking at is probably a good solid machine but isn't really worth a whole lot.
Rodney
Thanks Rodney......your info helps also. I have read online where some stores let the purchaser choose which label they wanted a the machine when they bought it. Seems rather strange to me. Planning on taking down some info on this particular machine today and check it out further. It sure looks pretty in the picture.....but pictures can be deceiving. I am really not a collector.....I just buy what I like and if it works. Don't plan on spending much on this one IF I buy it.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 AM

Not to put too fine a point on it, the term 'clone' not only refers to those machines that copied the basic Singer 15 architecture but also those machines that were manufactured, then a generic badge ('Fleetwood', 'Premier', 'Sew Gem', 'Bel-Air', 'Universal', etc.) was later slapped on. (Often, unbadged machines were shipped to the US and a seller's badge such as 'Gimbel's' would be added so that the Gimbel's store could sell their 'own' machine.) The clone is not merely a Singer 15 copy but a Japanese-manufactured machine that is exactly the same except in color and badge or with minor cosmetic differences but functionally the same. So your Dial N Sew is likely a twin or triplet of some other machine(s), just with minor cosmetic differences. These can be traced (with some reliability, though not completely) by serial numbers and/or manufacturer ID numbers.

I have a Dressmaker that is a Japanese zig-zag. Another member recently found a 'Hudson's' machine that is exactly the same except the badge, i.e. a clone. Even the colors are exactly the same.

That is how I understand the term 'clone'.

Edit to add: This re-badging of the same basic designs was nothing new at the time the Japanese were dumping cheap machines on the US market. Gritzner-Kayser made some machines that were simultaneously sold as Pfaffs, Kenmores, Gritzners, Whites, and Domestics. Earlier, Minnesotas were sold by Sears but there were other machines that were nearly identical. Etc.

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 10-17-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 AM

Nice looking machine

Deb