Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What does "Recs" mean? >
  • What does "Recs" mean?

• What does "Recs" mean?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    A rectangle is a 4 sided shape where all the angles are 90 degrees, so a square is actually a special kind of rectangle.
    A square is a rectangle with all sides the same length. Simple explanation. I married a math PhD and learned a lot of things that make life easier to understand.
    Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 AM

These are the rulers that Bonnie Hunter used in her Celtic Solstice mystery last year. In her video she explains that the Tri-Recs triangles are odd degrees, so it would be difficult to use our regular rulers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQCdh-ZkRAM
    Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 AM

Oh, I'm so glad the the quiz was cancelled. I am so busy right now I can only spend 1 hour one this site. I really have to hop around fast. And the ruler is a nice one to have.
    Old 10-17-2014, 11:36 AM

I bought the tri-rex rulers and they do work.
    Old 10-17-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    A square is a rectangle with all sides the same length. Simple explanation. I married a math PhD and learned a lot of things that make life easier to understand.
    Yes, I remember basic geometry more or less. And the label "Recs" sounds like it refers to a rectangle, but my question referred to the ruler, of course. I can see that if you sewed mirror images of pieces cut all the way around a recs ruler you would get a rectangle and not a square. I can see that the side opposite the right angle is not a 45º angle and thus makes the rectangle. Maybe that is the derivation of the term and the reason for the ruler's name.
    Old 10-17-2014, 12:30 PM

If memory serves the tri-rec was created due to a famous quilter, now passed, who used that block in many of her design. Her name has escaped me, as is the name she called her block...something like spikey and ?.....I'm sure someone will remember......
    Old 10-17-2014, 03:47 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B
    If memory serves the tri-rec was created due to a famous quilter, now passed, who used that block in many of her design. Her name has escaped me, as is the name she called her block...something like spikey and ?.....I'm sure someone will remember......
    Doreen Speckmann, she referred to them as Peaky and Spike.
    For some reason I am totally enamored of any quilt with this particular patch: 54:40, Tennessee Waltz, Storm at Sea, Bonnie Hunter's Celtic Solstice etc. etc.
    Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by RainyBC
    I recently purchased Darlene Zimmerman & Joy Hoffman Tri-Recs for a particular quilt pattern I wanted to try. I know one can accomplish the same block without one, but I'm thinking it is much easier and more accurate, at least for me. When paired together the square is cut on grain. There are lots of fun projects to use the tool with. This is the pattern I am working on now laid out on my dinning room table.Gorgeous
    Gorgeous work
    Old 10-18-2014, 07:42 AM

I recently purchased Darlene Zimmerman & Joy Hoffman Tri-Recs for a particular quilt pattern I wanted to try. I know one can accomplish the same block without one, but I'm thinking it is much easier and more accurate, at least for me. When paired together the square is cut on grain. There are lots of fun projects to use the tool with. This is the pattern I am working on now laid out on my dinning room table.

What pattern is this, Rainy? I meant to ask you earlier.
    Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

I recently purchased Darlene Zimmerman & Joy Hoffman Tri-Recs for a particular quilt pattern I wanted to try. I know one can accomplish the same block without one, but I'm thinking it is much easier and more accurate, at least for me. When paired together the square is cut on grain. There are lots of fun projects to use the tool with. This is the pattern I am working on now laid out on my dinning room table.

Very pretty quilt...