Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
You know you are a quilter when.... >

You know you are a quilter when....

You know you are a quilter when....

Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM

Have to admit I never thought about raiding my closet or dresser drawers for a chunk of fabric.....not yet anyway......
Old 10-17-2014, 01:00 PM

I have definitely thought about cutting up shirts for fabric, but I've never acted on those thoughts. It's fun to try to think of ways to find what you need for a quilt.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:58 AM

My friend said her husband ended up having only short sleeved shirts because she would like what he was wearing and cut the sleeves off and use them in her quilts.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:26 AM

'
'
"A friend of mine was working on a quilt late one evening when she decided she needed a particular shade of blue. Her husband came in to say good night. The pjs he had on were perfect and she grabbed her scissors and cut a hunk big enough to finish her quilt. "

Oh my...I read your post to my husband and he could not stop laughing. He has been thru so much living with a quilter. Now he is worried about his clothing. That was funny. We quilters do what we have to do.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:07 AM

No but I want to...DH has become a shirt shopaholic I swear. He's obsessed with buying new shirts because he can't pass up the good deals he finds (I thought men didn't like to shop). He now has so many shirts there isn't enough room for them in the 3 bedroom closets in our house. I've been threatening to start cutting them up for quilting fabric for a long time. I just LOVE all the shirts he buys so why not? I'm sure they would make a very handsome quilt...all those lovely plaids...mmmn scrumptious! Him having all this fabric around when I have this quilting addiction is like torturing a cat with catnip but not letting her have it. Now does that seem right to you???
Old 10-18-2014, 06:33 AM
Power Poster

If you don't wear it often... Cut it OR hit a local thrift shop
Old 10-18-2014, 08:15 AM

Guess it depends on how much you like the blouse. I have bought shirts at thrift store to cut up because they were the color I wanted. I first look in the extra large section to get the most fabric. I say go for it if you can live without the shirt.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:09 AM

Not if the clothing is currently being worn. However, clothing not used/worn/wrong size, etc. is fair game.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbuddy View Post
No but I want to...DH has become a shirt shopaholic I swear. He's obsessed with buying new shirts because he can't pass up the good deals he finds (I thought men didn't like to shop). He now has so many shirts there isn't enough room for them in the 3 bedroom closets in our house. I've been threatening to start cutting them up for quilting fabric for a long time. I just LOVE all the shirts he buys so why not? I'm sure they would make a very handsome quilt...all those lovely plaids...mmmn scrumptious! Him having all this fabric around when I have this quilting addiction is like torturing a cat with catnip but not letting her have it. Now does that seem right to you???
Would he even notice? if you did, would he be upset? You could make HIM a beautiful quilt with his beautiful "great deal" shirts. If he wouldn't be mad, go for it!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

yup, I have used clothes