Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 AM

Gorgeous! Glad you got it!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
So my mechanical genus might be able to come up with a way to improv that...
Not exactly rocket science (but if it was I do have a manual....)
Old 10-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Triumph after hours seemingly spent grunting and groaning, heat guns, every solvent, oil in the book! Removed the balance wheel, drove out the taper pin. the flanged collar however, wasn't gonna come off, and I did NOT want to break another one. So channel-locks and Tri-Flow spray lube, and more muscle finally got it to budge. More spray, keep slowly turning, now it's FREE spinning!!! Happy dance!!
Jim that one's a real beauty!

Steve, thanks for those pictures. Very simple setup (far simpler than my first thoughts) and it makes perfect sense now. Shouldn't be too hard to rig something that works and looks decent if I choose to.
Rodney
Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM

Sometimes I can drive myself crazy. Like yesterday afternoon, for example.

I had a little project to do with my big stitcher using black thread. I had white thread in it, so I wound a bobbin and changed thread colors. I grabbed a piece of scrap material that I had used on the machine before to give it a little test-sew.

Every stitch that I tried to make ended up wrapped around the hook in a big mess that I had to keep cutting myself out of. I tried sewing in some scrap leather. Same thing.

I was about ready to pull my hair out, when I finally noticed that I had forgot to thread my upper thread through the take-up lever.....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 10-31-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

I had a little project to do with my big stitcher using black thread. I had white thread in it, so I wound a bobbin and changed thread colors. I grabbed a piece of scrap material that I had used on the machine before to give it a little test-sew.

Every stitch that I tried to make ended up wrapped around the hook in a big mess that I had to keep cutting myself out of. I tried sewing in some scrap leather. Same thing.

I was about ready to pull my hair out, when I finally noticed that I had forgot to thread my upper thread through the take-up lever.....

CD in Oklahoma
Oh CD I am glad to see I am not the only one that has done this. I got out my trusty old 66 to use and was adjusting the stitich length like I always do. Going to make some period clothes. For the life of me could not get the thing to sew right and had tangled thread all over the place. I worked on the machine for 30 minutes and it was driving me up a wall. My wife came along and said should the thread go in that thingy that goes up and down.(take up lever) Boy did I feel stupid.
Skip
Old 10-31-2014, 01:04 PM
Power Poster

I think I've had the needle in backwards before...
Old 10-31-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post

CD in Oklahoma
Ugh me too! I spent yesterday moving from machine to machine trying to find one that would stitch through 6 layers of fleece. I got the bright idea the Pfaff 130 would do the job even though I have not yet tested it or adjusted the tension because it's not in the best case for accessing the bobbin area. Not only was it not going to do the job, it refused to even do a zig zag stitch. It WAS zig zagging but wasn't producing the stitch. I couldn't even tell if I has it threaded correctly and was getting very frustrated. I was a sweaty mess trying to get it working, then switched to the White and then to the Kenmore...I finally decided the project would be fine with 3 layers of fleece (and it really was).

I think I am getting the Halloween crazies.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:58 PM

I so enjoy sitting here and looking at machines, and hearing you all fixing them. I try not to butt in, but here I go. You all are so machine intelligent, I love to hear what you have to say on how to fix them all. Thanks so much. Barny
Old 11-02-2014, 05:14 AM

I didn’t really have a sewing project for my Singer 319W Treadle, but the last time that I used it with the original disc balance wheel on it, I had decided that before I used it again I wanted to switch to the spoked wheel that I had on my 306W that is now sort of side-lined due to getting the 319. I got it done yesterday.

The black spoked wheel is one of the new after-market wheels from China that I got a few years ago. The center bore is machined incorrectly, so the wheel rim wobbles badly when it is turned. I decided to use it on my 306 to see if it would work, and it did.

To make the bobbin winder work without modifying the winder, I cut a strip of vegetable-tanned tooling leather to make a collar for the BW tire to run on. I cut the leather strip about a quarter of an inch short of the distance around the balance wheel hub, connected the ends with a metal treadle belt connector, whacked the connector with a hammer on an anvil to flatten it into the leather as much as possible, and then forced the leather strip onto the hub of the wheel for a tight fit.

The collar works fine, if you don’t mind the bit of sound and vibration of the rubber tire going over the belt clip every revolution. On the treadle, that hasn’t been a problem for me, although the off-drilled bore of this particular wheel can trip the automatic release of the winder before it gets full enough sometimes. I just hold it with a finger to finish filling the bobbin. The benefit is that I can move the wheel from one machine to another without having to modify each machine’s bobbin winder.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine559_23.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	497438   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine559_24.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	497439   Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine559_25.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	497440  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:16 AM

CD, is there a big difference in the ease of treadling with the spoked wheel? I find treadling mine is not too bad when doing a straight stitch (which is mostly what I do) but that the treadling is hard going when I use the fashion cams or keys. I do have some treadle heads just sitting on shelves so I could steal a wheel from one of them.

FREE Quilting Newsletter