Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Half Square Triangles and Accuquilt Go >

Half Square Triangles and Accuquilt Go

Half Square Triangles and Accuquilt Go

Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 AM

I use dies for as many cuts as possible if I have the die..if not it goes on my list of "buy"...it's not the die, it's the machine eating the triangles...let us know your solution...sometimes it takes several little tricks to get it to work on the machine
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
I use dies for as many cuts as possible if I have the die..if not it goes on my list of "buy"
Same with me about the dies.
Sometimes my ends will be eaten by machine no matter what I do so I start sewing with the ends behind the needle, sew the seam and then finish sewing the end I started. My thinking is find the frustrating part and do away with it, don't fight it.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:34 AM

You can use a leader to start so that your fabric doesn't get sucked in or you can use a piece of stabilizer either tear away or water, put it under the fabric with a little sticking out to hold onto and it'll prevent those points from going into the hole. If you have a single hole needle plate this would also be the time to use it.

The biggest thing about cutting with the Accuquilt, you have to pay attention to the grain or the size won't be right. Ask me how I know this.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

I cut scraps on my Go anyway they will fit and very seldom on grain. I haven't noticed any difference in how the triangles or other odd cuts fit together or different sizes after sewing. I wonder why the difference?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 AM

I have HST dies and don't have a problem. That being said, I have a single hole plate and I do use leaders and enders
Old 11-03-2014, 06:51 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions - can't wait to try them. As far as the HST die goes - I practiced cutting on the muslin and it cut beautifully. I'll let you all know which technique solves my machine problems. It really ticks me off that this machine (had it 6 months) does this. It is the Baby Lock Crescendo.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I cut scraps on my Go anyway they will fit and very seldom on grain. I haven't noticed any difference in how the triangles or other odd cuts fit together or different sizes after sewing. I wonder why the difference?
It may depend on the size of the die. With smaller pieces, the distortion will be insignificant. With the 5" square die, quite a few people have noticed that if you are not careful with the grain, there will be 1/8" difference in sides. This is probably because the roller stretches the fabric slightly as it goes through the machine. If the pressure of the roller is in the direction of a bias grain, the stretch will be significantly more than if it is on the lengthwise grain of the fabric. Starching fabric heavily before running through the Go! helps, as does using paper between the fabric and the mat. But if the die-cut pieces are small, the distortion may be too insignificant to affect piecing.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:41 PM

Here to report that Paper Princess's suggestion of using tissue paper as a leader, with a little paper under where seam will start, worked perfectly. Thank you, Thank you.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

I love it when someone reports back!