Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Microwave bowls >
  • Microwave bowls

• Microwave bowls

Old 11-10-2014, 05:44 PM

I have made dozens of microwave bowls for family & friends and have not heard of any of them catching fire. I used 100% cotton thread, batting & fabric. I have put the bowls in the microwave for up to 5 minutes with no issues.
    Old 11-10-2014, 07:10 PM

I use mine quite often. I lined them with cotton batting, but I only use them as bowl holders when I take the bowl out of the microwave. I haven't tried using them in the microwave.
    Old 11-11-2014, 04:32 AM

Make sure your microwave bowl does not have spilled or boiled over food on it, as that can cause it to catch fire. I also prefer to use them to put hot bowls or mugs in after microwaving.
    Old 11-11-2014, 05:51 AM

I found batting at JoAnn's, made by Pellon, called "Wrap-N-Zap" made especially for microwave use. It is 100% cotton and has no scrim in it. I used it to make a fabric bowl; zapped bowls of left overs twice and so far so good.
    Old 11-11-2014, 08:20 AM

I don't think it's worth taking a chance. There's some science in recently on the dangerous effects of microwaves on the nutrients in food...the microwaves kill the vitamins or something like that...and adding a possibly flammable microwave bowl on top of it just makes it all seem to yucky to take a chance. Make mug rugs...people love them.
    Old 11-11-2014, 08:52 AM

Anything will catch fire if you leave it in the microwave long enough. One missed number and flames. Example - popcorn - bag says 3 to 4 minutes, add an accidental "0" (30 to 40 minutes) you may have a fire!! Just use common sense.
    Old 11-11-2014, 09:03 AM

I've used mine many times - cotton fabric, warm & natural batting - no more than 3 minutes. Pay attention. I won't make big ones, because I don't want people actually cooking in them for a longer period of time.
    Old 11-11-2014, 11:07 AM

Hey Caroline, I asked a similar question about a year ago. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t237794.html I wanted to know what batting was OK, since cotton batting often has a poly scrim in it... There were a lot of comments about fires and some links to people who had had fires
    Old 11-11-2014, 02:11 PM

Gosh I have making and using these for a couple years now. I have not nor anyone that I gave them too said anything about catching a fire. As others have said make sure you use cotton fabric and cotton batting. I did learn about the potato bag but do not know why it catches fire. I do not use those.
    Old 11-12-2014, 03:33 AM

I have literally made hundreds of these - Learned the hard way - the more powerful ovens will catch them on fire - never use more than 1000 watts. Also the moisture in your potato can cause a hazard. Potatoes that have begun to wrinkle will cause problems. Always use 100% cotton fabric, batting and thread. It's better to heat 2-3 minutes, wait a minute or so and then give it another minute or 2. My customers love the taste of potatoes cooked this way. I also cook sweet potatoes, corn on the cob and warm hard bread. For the bread just sprinkle with a few drops of water and only cook for 15 seconds or so. Again wattage of oven makes a huge difference.