Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Child Sized Quilting Supplies? >

Child Sized Quilting Supplies?

Child Sized Quilting Supplies?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM

I made my granddaughter at age 6 a sewing basket added all the things listed along with a 5 inch template and a 6 inch ruler. I had a large pack of 5 inch squares that she made into her first quilt. She tied it with he Daddy showing her to to tie the knots.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:57 PM

a 36 in tape measurer.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:07 PM

Lily will be adult sized very soon. Buy her adult sized notions. IMO, anyone treating a child as a child when doing adult type work is cheating the child and herself.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Lily will be adult sized very soon. Buy her adult sized notions. IMO, anyone treating a child as a child when doing adult type work is cheating the child and herself.
I agree, I believe she will get frustrated with that machine really fast as it is a chain stitch and does not make stitches like a normal sewing machine does that has a bobbin. I taught my daughter and a friends daughter with a regular sewing machine at that age, just made sure to reduce the speed and/or put something in the control pedal so that it could not be pushed all the way down. Learning to sew without frustration will increase the fun and instill a life long desire to do so. Start her out on lined paper with no thread in the machine to get the feel of following a straight line.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:38 AM

What fun you both will have. I sew with my granddaughters. They are 4 and 7. The little one sits on my lap while I operate the pedal. She thinks she is doing it all. The 7 year old is getting pretty good. They use a Singer Featherweight to sew. They like its small size and it makes a beautiful stitch. I like using it too. They only sew. No cutting.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 AM

What a cute machine. When I first read your thread, I was afraid you meant one of those "children's machines" they sell today. Those are not machines, they are toys and IMHO will only frustrate anyone who tries to actually use them. What great memories you will be making.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:48 AM

This is an interesting thread, since we spent a day at DD's last week end and I took my Janome Jem along, so that I could do a little custom work on the younger DGD's pants. Younger DGD is 3 and spent almost an hour on my lap, intently watching what Nana was doing. Older DGD stood by our side, making comments and asking a kazillion questions. She is almost 6, saw one of those children's sewing machines and wondered if Nana would teach her to sew on it.

DD made the comment that she never had an Easy-Bake oven, because I taught her to cook and bake on the real thing. And I made the comment that my little Jem would be just about perfect size for older DGD in a couple of years. Next time the girls are here, I think we will have a little sewing lesson. Maybe pillow cases or a book bag....

Your DGD will love the Christmas present andt will treasure the time she spends with you.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Default children's sewing

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
Perhaps also get her a manual and supplies needed to service the machine (with your help). Maybe a sewing kit/box to collect her new treasures as well. Could a pin cushion pattern be a first project the two of you make together?
I just ordered for a young girl to learn sewing a book by Possibilities, The Best of Sewing Machine Fun for Kids. I wanted both of the books but was lucky to get one. I am going to send this to a young girl in Tampa,Fl that is learning to sew with the help of an experienced quilter. I think it is grand to share your knowledge and I gave this young lady a small singer machine I purchased from a garage sale. I believe it was a daisy a little heavy for her small size but still she will be able to move it if she needs to. I am hoping to get the other book so she has the set and can learn all there is to sewing. I will never get to be a grand-parent so I try to live that enjoyment through friends.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 PM

nice grandma and lucky little granddaughter! I hope my DG will take an interest soon...she is 6.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:14 PM

Memories!! I had the very same machine when I was little. I gave it to my daughter, and now it is working it's way through my three grand daughters!! The hardest problem is getting needles for it. They need to be a short shank - usually can only find online. Have fun!!