Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can someone please help me - Pinwheel quilts >

Can someone please help me - Pinwheel quilts

Can someone please help me - Pinwheel quilts

Old 11-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

You might want to get a book on basic quilting. Usually they have a lot of patterns in them. All you really need is to decided what size you want to make. They are usually made from 4 Half Square Triangles. If you are new to quilting, I would avoid Jenny's pinwheel quilt because ALL the edges are bias. Once you have some experience knowing how to deal with bias edges, then you can try it. You might also explore buying separate magazine patterns on eBay. Some start out as inexpensive as 99 cents. Here are two pinwheel quilts I have made. These are designs I made using EQ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink Piwheels.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	499914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Two tonal pinwheel.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	469.4 KB
ID:	499915  
Old 11-23-2014, 04:13 AM

I like this method http://lovelylittlehandmades.blogspo...-tutorial.html
Old 11-23-2014, 05:43 AM

Here is a link to one that I did.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t134673.html

If you have not made a pinwheel, here is a link to great directions.
http://www.valeriecustomquilting.com...tPinwheels.pdf

I always make mine a bit over sized and trim down as that link suggests. They can be any size you want. If you want a finished pinwheel of lets say 6 inches then each section of the pinwheel (which is called a half square triangle) would finish up at 3 inches square. You would start with two sets of two 4 inch square pieces of fabric (one is the background and the other would be the color of the pinwheel). Once sewn, cut apart and reassembled these four pieces of fabric would make one pinwheel.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scuddles View Post
I am pretty new to quilting and I love the Pinwheel quilts. I don't know what size to make them. I was wondering if someone could write me out a pattern for a lap size Pinwheel quilt. If so, could you PM me? Thank you so much, Lori (Scuddles)
You would be helping me out so much.
Have a look at the easy variations on pinwheels on the Missouri Star videos on YouTube. You will be hooked.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Go to the web sight-Kerry K & Quilting By Fiona had mentioned. Missouri star quilt company. That technique was fabulous. Any size sq will work. I used that tech. for my future Great grdsons/twins quilt tops, to be born the end of Jan 2015. I'll use that tech. in the future quilt project.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:59 AM

I made a very simple but great quilt from charm squares that I cut myself. I cut black and white fabrics and white in 5" squares. I put one of each fabric (one white and one black and white) together and drew a line diagonally across them. Then I sewed 1/4 inch from that line on both sides, cut exactly on the line. I pressed the seam to one side and made 4 of them for one block. I added 2 1/2 inch sashing in white and 2 1/2 inch cornerstones in red. It's easy to make and I used many black and white fabrics to make my quilts, I actually made two of them. Good Luck.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 AM

http://twiddletails.blogspot.com/201...eel-party.html
This was my third quilt. It is fun to make and there are many different sizes of pinwheels in the top.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 PM

I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. My goodness, I never thought I would get so many nice people to help me out. Thank you so much
Old 11-23-2014, 08:40 PM

For a beginner, I wouldn't start with anything to small. The smaller the pinwheel, the more accurate you have to be. I think 5 or 6 inch would be a good starting point. Make 1 and see if it looks like about the right size. If not, you can go up or down as you want.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Scakes View Post
I used to have a pattern for a 3-D pinwheel that was cute and easy. Can't remember the pattern name but try googling 3-D pinwheel. It was a freebie on the internet.

I'm working one two baby quilts right now and one is a 3-D pinwheel. My pattern (name of pattern is Jacks) is from an old quilting book called "P.S. I Love You Too!" copyright is 1996. The pattern calls to use 3 1/2" squares but I used a charm pack and left them at 5", so my quilt blocks are larger. There are also prairie points in the border. This is actually the third time making this particular quilt. The other baby quilt is one of Missouri Star Quilt Company's disappearing pinwheels. I'll post pictures when finished. Hope you find a pattern to use and have fun making the pinwheels ... I love them too.