Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
I've spent most of today on the computer, searching for a way to make a decent quilt label with a smaller font (less than 1/2"), without spending a fortune. Been reading all of the suggestions and tried out a couple free demos. Unfortunately, it seems most of the programs concentrate more on graphics and lettering is more of an afterthought. Now I'm looking at SewArt Digitizing Embroidery Software. The way I'm reading it, is it'll convert graphic file extensions into the embroidery software extensions. If that's the case, I'm thinking I can do my lettering in PhotoShop and then after saving, will be able to import it into the SewArt, for conversion into PES. Has anyone ever done this? If so, did it work?

I did find a couple of 1/4" fonts and bought one . . . but the stitching width isn't proportional to the size of the letter, so the overall effect is of a larger letter that's been compacted. I don't want printed labels, as they aren't practical for kids' quilts, which need to withstand many washings.

Any advice, before I pull out the rest of my hair? I've already resorted to chocolate, twice!
The best advice I can give you is when working with lettering this small(1/4"), since lettering is kind of dense, use thinner 60wt thread and a size 9 needle. This works well for any small dense design.

I made name labels on 1/2" ribbon for clothing not too long ago. I used the small size script font on my machine(Janome MC200e) and reduced it further in the machine. I was able to use my regular 40wt thread with no problems, but if the lettering had been any smaller I would have used 60wt thread.

Cari
Old 11-23-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
The best advice I can give you is when working with lettering this small(1/4"), since lettering is kind of dense, use thinner 60wt thread and a size 9 needle. This works well for any small dense design.

I made name labels on 1/2" ribbon for clothing not too long ago. I used the small size script font on my machine(Janome MC200e) and reduced it further in the machine. I was able to use my regular 40wt thread with no problems, but if the lettering had been any smaller I would have used 60wt thread.

Cari
Thanks, Cari. I absolutely agree with you, regarding the thinner thread. Problem is the (satin-type) stitches are too wide, for the overall width of the letters.

After posting my previous post, I remembered there was a free demo , so I'll try that and see just what I can do with it.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Towel I made for a friend

I made this for a girlfriend . The saying is hers I thought it was cute and gave it to her today she loved it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2751.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	500263  
Old 11-26-2014, 03:50 PM

How cute!!!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Banned

That's really cute! That saying would go over well at my kids' house, lol.

Cari
Old 11-26-2014, 08:06 PM

Neesie, before you go bald, I wanted to say there is another way to make quilt labels for kids quilts. Bubble Jet is the cheapest in the long run. Purchase some good quality muslin or Kona Bay cotton. Treat the fabric with Bubble Jet. You just pour a little in a dish....I use a 9 x 13 pan or a little larger, 10 x 15. Cut the fabric the size of paper your printer will take. Place the fabric in the dish and get it wet with the Bubble Jet (BJ). Next hang it to dry and let it drip back into the pan....This solution can be used again and again. Over a towel rack or thick plastic coat hanger work great. (If I am doing a quilt with pictures I cut my fabric into 11" strips then when they have been treated with BJ I sub cut. After your fabric has been treated iron it onto freezer paper. Pull up a font on your computer and type what you want on the quilt. EG This quilt belongs to Mary Jane, made by etc.....Now send this to the printer and use the freezer backed fabric to print it on. There is also another way. I'll PM you.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:21 PM

I see the Floriani Suite Pro digitizing software, it had some bugs and other things. They have made a super new one
and it is free to anyone who bought the first one. Call your dealer or on computer and look up Floriani, FTU.
The new cd is free, manual and how to, club, support on line, how to projects, howto viedos, etc.
My All brands Sew and Va in Richmond, va has free classes by meg for anyone who bought their software from them.
We had other buyers of the software come too but they have to pay.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Sorry I forgot to add quote have a great day! hope your store has it.

Originally Posted by Crqltr View Post
I bought the florani software also. I have not figured it out yet! Sure is not as easy as the demonstrator made it look! I did make a label got it sent to my machine and it sewed out great...then I looked closer and discovered I spelled the name wrong! So I quit, will wait till I have time to play with it!
My All brands wirh Erick and Gayla owners, and Meg is the teacher. It is a great place great classes,
Diva day= sew and lunch, sewing machines, sewing machine mainteance, stop in ask questions about your
projects even trips. Hope your near here.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by sherian View Post
My All brands wirh Erick and Gayla owners, and Meg is the teacher. It is a great place great classes,
Diva day= sew and lunch, sewing machines, sewing machine mainteance, stop in ask questions about your
projects even trips. Hope your near here.
Thanks Sherian, I did get the update for the floriani. I have figured out some of it, finally. This version seems more user friendly, or else it finally clicked! I'm in Michigan so it would be quite a drive for the lessons! The quilt shop where I bought the software does not do classes for it. I was at the sewing expo and they had a booth and the sales person there that day was very helpful. I know it will do a lot more than what I am using it or right now!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by imsewnso View Post
Neesie, before you go bald, I wanted to say there is another way to make quilt labels for kids quilts. Bubble Jet is the cheapest in the long run. Purchase some good quality muslin or Kona Bay cotton. Treat the fabric with Bubble Jet. You just pour a little in a dish....I use a 9 x 13 pan or a little larger, 10 x 15. Cut the fabric the size of paper your printer will take. Place the fabric in the dish and get it wet with the Bubble Jet (BJ). Next hang it to dry and let it drip back into the pan....This solution can be used again and again. Over a towel rack or thick plastic coat hanger work great. (If I am doing a quilt with pictures I cut my fabric into 11" strips then when they have been treated with BJ I sub cut. After your fabric has been treated iron it onto freezer paper. Pull up a font on your computer and type what you want on the quilt. EG This quilt belongs to Mary Jane, made by etc.....Now send this to the printer and use the freezer backed fabric to print it on. There is also another way. I'll PM you.
Thank you! The reason I'd rather have stitched labels, is my current quilts are for a 3-yo girl and a 9-yo boy. They'll most likely need to stand up to quite a few washings. LOL I've used a different iron-on method, in the past. That particular label has withstood a gentle washing but I'm not sure how it'd make out, with kids tugging at it.