Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Getting Boiled eggs to Peel >

Getting Boiled eggs to Peel

Getting Boiled eggs to Peel

Old 11-27-2014, 06:42 AM

I have learned that you never "boil" eggs. You cook them. Bring the water just to a boil, then let them simmer. If you have farm fresh eggs, let them sit on the counter at least over night. No, you won't die from eating an egg that was sitting on the counter overnight. Most people in other countries do not refrigerate their eggs. They just turn them over each day or so.

The cold water cooling is good, as is cracking the eggs under water. But cool them soon and fast. Right after the cooking time is done.

Happy cracking.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I bring the water to a boil with with the eggs in the pot. When it comes to a boil I remove from the heat and cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Then drain in cold water, crack the shells under the cold water. This way avoids the green ring around the yolk I used to get. So far so good with the peeling.
This is what I was talking about. Very good way. No green yolks.
I guess she was typing at the same time I was.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:15 AM

Adding baking soda to the water, will make the shell slide off the eggs without any marks on the eggs. I also remove the shell under running cold water. No more deviled eggs that look like they cam from a war zone
Old 11-27-2014, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I boil my eggs and then take the pot to the sink and run cold water into them until they are cool enough to handle. I drain the water out and then shake the eggs around in the pan until the shells crack some. I take the eggs out one at a time and hold them under cold running water and start peeling from the blunt end of the egg. The blunt end has the air pocket/space so it is easier to get the shell started there.
This is the same method I use and it seems to work the best. I think the trick besides the cold water is to give them a good shake until the eggs are completely cracked. The more cracked they are, the better they peel.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

very similar to the way I do it. I like to make pickled beet eggs. I do those 2-3 days before needed. They make great festive deviled eggs. Whatever your recipe for deviled, I like to add some shredded carrots on top and maybe a little parsley. I haven't tried the oven and probably won't since this works for me. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Originally Posted by baronreads View Post
I boil for 15 min, then run cold water in the pan until it stays cold then add ice to the pan until it melts. It's the quick cool down that makes them easier to peel. Also, store bought eggs are easier to peel than farm fresh eggs. I've heard cooking them in the oven works well too, but have never tried it. I'm peeling mine in the morning! Wish me luck!
Old 11-27-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I boil my eggs and then take the pot to the sink and run cold water into them until they are cool enough to handle. I drain the water out and then shake the eggs around in the pan until the shells crack some. I take the eggs out one at a time and hold them under cold running water and start peeling from the blunt end of the egg. The blunt end has the air pocket/space so it is easier to get the shell started there.
I shake mine also and then cover them with cold water and they peel great.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:30 AM

Here's the best solution I've found to peel boiled eggs:
The very minute eggs begin to boil, turn them off. Cover with lid and set timer for 15 minutes. Drain water, rinse in cool water so you can handle the eggs, and peel immediately. Shell removes easily!
Old 11-27-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ladydukes View Post
Here's the best solution I've found to peel boiled eggs:
The very minute eggs begin to boil, turn them off. Cover with lid and set timer for 15 minutes. Drain water, rinse in cool water so you can handle the eggs, and peel immediately. Shell removes easily!
This method works for me as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:12 PM

When I have boiled and cooled mine I roll them between my hands and it loosens the shells and they come off easily.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:49 PM

I also turn them off when they come to a boil.Let sit 15 minutes. Have ice water ready to cover the eggs. Drain then pour ice water over them. i use ice cubes in the water. When you can hold an egg that feels cold,it's ready to peel.