2014 Fabric Moratorium

Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 AM

Love the stories of the great deals. Well for me there was the infamous CT purchase, then there was 8 yards of the most beautiful Kona blue solid with a 60% coupon and last but not least two lengths of Keepsake fabric at 50% off. The good news is the net increase is 24 yards with the BH mystery starting that will use 11 yards of strictly stash. So the total increase since the middle of Oct will be 13 yards. Still a lot but not as bad as it first seems, just need to sew faster. I'm okay until I see fabric at $5 per yard or lower, then I land with a crash.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

OK, me too... Great niece just announced that they are expecting. I don't have a lot of juvenile/baby prints. 2 of the last 3 baby quilts I made were batiks. Anyway I ran into a sale of really cute coordinating kid prints a couple years ago, one an all over and one a repeating stripe. Less than $3/yard so I bought what remained on the bolts. (Don't you look at me like that, you would have too). I've made one baby quilt and used up all my pastels. Looked on line yesterday and found the coordinating pastel solids from the same line for under $4 a yard, so I bought 4 yards total. Not too bad, and it's for a specific project.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:03 PM

It is passed Nov 1

I bought material Wed. This was only chance at that out of town material shop. There is two but only one had material I wanted. I bought what I wanted. Two , yes two clerks pulled bolts for me and piled in shopping cart as they would say if wanted it. . I told the type of what wanted. Boy did they find material and more material. One left for lunch I would guess , the other cut for me . I bet I made their day .

I want to have these animal quilts made up by summer .
Old 11-30-2014, 06:41 AM

All this great falling of the wagon and not a picture to be seen. I would so love to see pictures and I'm sure I'm not alone. Princess: I am so into anything baby right now so would love to see the old fabric with the new. Colorado: Sounds like a load of fun, not only picking the fabric but interacting with the store people.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:26 AM

Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do! That includes buying fabric now and then. My bad habits are tea and chocolate, so sometimes it's okay to spend $$ on fabric. That's my bad habit!! REally, I thought I could avoid buying this year and joined this moratorium thinking it was a slam dunk. HA! But it's been fun getting to know the folks who struggle with too much fabric, and still want more. Someday I'll have more time and then the fabrics will be great. The pocket prayer quilts are quickly using up scraps, and that's what I needed. So to those of you who have resisted the call of the quilt shop/fabric store all year...you have my admiration!
Old 12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

My sister lives in a village of fewer than 130 souls and my home town has just under 4000. There is a TINY sewing studio in town and the selection of fabric is eclectic. I bought two FQS of Russian stacking doll fabric to go with the ones I already have.

Then my sis took me to Trier and she Googled fabric stores for me. I told her it wasn't necessary but she insisted. We ended up walking over half an hour and the further we walked the worse the neighborhood became. FINALLY we saw a sign "fabric" and we had to go down a creepy alley. The store was jam-packed floor to ceiling and not very modern. I bought one piece because it was such an effort. Lol

I am so excited about getting back home.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:02 PM

Martina: Sounds like you had quite an adventure. I would love to take a peak into a back alley fabric store. You've been missed, will be glad to see you back.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

Martina: well every time you look at that fabric it will remind you of your adventure!
Old 12-13-2014, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

Are we all just being too good or are we all too busy falling off the wagon? I took a drive to the LQS (Fabric Garden in Sacramento) to check out their new (bigger and much brighter) location. They went modern to suit the store and it really works. Lots of space to walk around and actually appreciate the fabrics. I HAD to buy 8 FQ for the birthday swap. Everyone wanted a color or style that I don't have. One lady was OK to get "anything" and for the life of me, there wasn't anything in my cupboard.

The sneaky devils sent out 12 days of christmas specials so I did order a FQ packet and a discounted gift card but those are for gifts too. So I didn't do too badly (well, there are those 2 yards of orange paisley....)
Old 12-13-2014, 06:48 PM
Power Poster

Being busy cuts down on shopping time! Had 42 people over for dinner last weekend and I think I just recovered today!