Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote? >

The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote?

The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote?

Old 11-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
Why not just mash the whole pot to lumpy and then separate out half for further mashing? Seems like a simple solution for all.
This was my thought, as well. Why must it be one extreme or the other? Sorry but the issue sounds more like a power struggle, than a friendly meal. It's so easy to serve both, I don't understand why it was ever an issue, in the first place.

When I make potato salad, there are those who love lots of mayo and those who hate mayo. I make it without, then provide mayo to those who wish to add it. The others may add yogurt or whatever, and everyone is happy.

Personally, I love potatoes . . . period!

Last edited by Neesie; 11-20-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:38 AM

I posed this question to my class last night. They are college students, though, so their answer to "smooth or lumpy?" was "Yes." They seem always to be hungry!
Old 11-20-2014, 07:15 PM

Our family comes from different places for Thanksgiving and are so happy to see everyone, they don't care about how what is made! And they like to take home what is left and not perishable! Everybody eats, laughs, and love each other and there are no disagreements about anything, except maybe who has the remote!!! Happy Thanksgiving, to all!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Jim

mashed potatoes are just that....mashed so, no lumps for me....lol and with gravy please
I'm the cook here and glad no one likes them lumpy

I hope EVERYONE has a wonderful Thanksgiving and please remember our soldiers.

Last edited by Jim; 11-24-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
We always have smooth mashed potatoes with sauteed onions and celery plus a couple of eggs.
This was stuffed in the turkey when cold and extra put in a dish and put in the oven for the last hour or half hour with the cooking turkey. Served with gravy of course!
We never had bread stuffing. Always have sweet potatoes too!
Too bad I'm not cooking this year.
I have never heard of this and it sounds amazing. I do like my dressing I have no problem if it's cooked in the bird or out its all good. I wish you were cooking for me this year I would love to try that.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:00 AM

I can't say that I've ever turned my nose up at either - I love potatoes. But my preference (and how I make them when I'm making them myself) is lumpy, with skins, and lots of garlic. Vegetarian, so no gravy...butter and chives are good though.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:58 AM

This conversation is making me crave potato soup! Sounds like a good addition, for tomorrow's Thanksgiving dinner.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM

I'm with you - lumpy. Smooth taste like baby food.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 PM

I have not heard this debated until now. I thought your debate would be stuffing or dressing.
It does remind me of the evolution of potatoes in my life. When we were first married, I bought real potaotes. But we weren't eating them up fast enough and was throwing away a lot of potatoes. This seemed like a waste so I switched to boxed potatoes. Then we had children and eventually I thought real potatoes would be more economical. The first time I served mashed real potatoes, my youngest son (about 3 years old) complained that there were lumps. Poor child was deprived.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:10 AM

DS's GF made them this year and they were smooth, rich and delicious. She uses half and half instead of the 1% milk I use and probably added a lot of butter but that's what Holiday foods are all about.