Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A good ruler? >

A good ruler?

A good ruler?

Old 12-05-2014, 07:18 PM

I like the Creative Grid rulers, and I'll tell you why. They have black AND white lines, so you can see on light or dark fabric. And they have dashed lines instead of solid lines. You can see where the edge of the fabric is, in relation to the lines, with a dashed line. They also have the rough dots on the back so they grip better. My 4 favorite sizes are 6 1/2" X 24 1/2", 6 1/2" X 12 1/2", 6 1/2" square and 12 1/2" square. It's important for the squares to have their diagonal line in the very corner of the ruler, so you can square-up your half-square-triangles, etc.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:20 PM

I like my OmniGrid rulers with the Guidelines strips applied so they don't slip but do slide when needed to reposition. This for my basic rulers.

While I also like Creative Grids, I do like and ruler that has a 1/2" extra measurement because I am easily distracted and can cut from the incorrect side of the ruler quite easily.

Specialty rulers are rated by ability to use easily and for multiple uses.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I like my Olfa frosted ones best. they are the easiest ones for me to read.

the Creatve Grids ones seem overly "busy" to me.
yep. i know what you mean.
i had fits the first few times i used a friend's Creative Grids ruler.
but it's worth getting used to because it doesn't slip and all those extra markers do come in handy.
they ain't cheap, though, so if you know anybody who ones one, take it for a few test drives to try before you buy.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:53 AM

Creative Grids! I'm fairly new and at my first quilting class the owner allowed my to try almost every brand on the market. Right away I found I didn't like frosted, or those neon yellow colored ones. True Cut was kinda cool, but expensive and I already had rotary cutters (their rulers/cutters work together).

As soon as I tried Creative Grids, I was sold. Easy to read, I love the 1/4" and 1/2" marks on either side, and best of all THEY DONT SLIP!!! So I have slowly been investing in different sizes. Started with 6 1/2 x 24 1/2. My other favorite sizes are the 2 1/2 x 12 1/2, the 3 1/2 x 18 1/2, the 6 1/2" square, and the 12 1/2" square. I just ordered their Stripology Slotted Ruler (it's on back-order) and am looking forward to that one!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:21 AM

I agree with the size recommendations you've received totally. As to brand...what I suggest is to go into a shop that has a variety of brands and varieties of fabrics. Pick out fabrics - lights; mediums; darks that you like. Grab a bunch of the different brand rulers and lay them over all of the fabrics. Which rulers do YOU see the markings best. Go with that brand. I also recommend, once you've chosen the brand of ruler you like - get all the different size rulers you want ALL THE SAME BRAND. An inch is not necessarily an inch when switching from brand to brand of rulers. Has the potential to affect your cutting accuracy if you change ruler sizes mid way through your project.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:56 AM

Altho it took a bit of getting used to for me, the Martelli ruler helped me make the most accurate cuts. No slipping and the 'slits' keep the fabric in the same place. For the first time, my 9 patch didn't need any squaring up. Their stuff is not inexpensive but it does what it says. They just had their 50% off sale and there should be another in the spring. BTW, I'm not affiliated with them in any way. ;-)
Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Omni here, I put felt dots on the back of all my rulers and sometimes I also use invisi grip on the back for more stability. As far as sizes I have all from 1x6, 2" sq, 3x17, 6x24, 6" sq, etc. People often ask why do you need so many rulers but seriously I use all of them at one point or another.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

I have all kinds. I like the Olfa Frosted and Creative Grids the best for basic rulers. I never pass up a great sale price on a ruler I already have. After time they get scratched, cloudy, or nicked edges.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I use the OmniGrid & OmniGrip ones. My favorites being the 8.5" x 24", and the 12.5" square.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
While I also like Creative Grids, I do like and ruler that has a 1/2" extra measurement because I am easily distracted and can cut from the incorrect side of the ruler quite easily.
Do you mean you don't like those types? I didn't realize creative grids rulers had that 1/2". My fiskars rotary ruler has it and it's one thing I don't like about it. My omni brand square rulers have it (9.5" and 12.5") and I don't like it much on them either.