My garage sale scores

Old 12-06-2014, 03:57 PM

You did good, Christy! I really like your chair, too! Looks like a good one. And your fabric looks perfect to add to your current quilting project. Like KenmoreRulesAll said, Score!
Old 12-06-2014, 06:30 PM

The Wards machine brought back many good memories. I remember when my Father bought Mother a Wards machine and cabinet in about 1954 or 55. That machine was worn to a nub by Mother, making all my clothes, Father's Western shirts, plus all the sewing she did for the public and friends. Oh...also upholstery work!
Old 12-06-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by nanacc View Post
The Wards machine brought back many good memories. I remember when my Father bought Mother a Wards machine and cabinet in about 1954 or 55. That machine was worn to a nub by Mother, making all my clothes, Father's Western shirts, plus all the sewing she did for the public and friends. Oh...also upholstery work!
That's cool. I haven't seen a machine like this branded for Wards. I'm sure they had them, but I never see them around.

Sheri, I was thrilled to find the fabrics, especially all the "neutrals". I spent far less on those today than I did at the fabric store yesterday and got more material!
Old 12-06-2014, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Have you tried lowering the feed dogs, raising and or removing the presser foot then trying to remove the throat plate then the slide plate? You just might be able to see why the needle won't move. Just a thought.
The top is off the bobbin plates are removed, I dropped the motor out and used penetrating oil everywhere. Still nothing is moving. I tried adding heat and did some cleaning but haven't solved the problem yet. I got the needle position part working but the rest is going to take more time. Hopefully it just needs a good soak. The hang up appears to be where the two gears under the hood mesh I can see the upper one move a fraction when I rock the handwheel, but I think the lower one is stuck. I'm going to have to be patient.

The good news is what I took for a grease stain on the chair seat vacuumed right out so it's looking great!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:56 PM

You sure know how and where to shop. Congratulations!

Leslie
Old 12-07-2014, 07:42 AM

Dang...you had a great day!!
Old 12-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Love your fabric ! All yard sales and anything outside done here until spring, you are so lucky.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
You sure know how and where to shop. Congratulations!

Leslie
Thank you. I do haunt the ads and patrol my local places often. The 403 may or may not work out. It's looks like it may have been dropped on the handwheel. When I buy a machine on the super cheap without cords for testing it's a risk and I think of it more as a 10.00 puzzle than a machine unless I can get it working.

Step one is to see IF I can get the needle unstuck. I had no luck last night but I am enjoying the tinkering. I could end up with a brick and strip it for parts. I know my dad say, you got to puzzle out that thing for hours-you sure got your moneys worth out that.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 AM

That brown singer is the one we had in our Home Ec class that the teacher called "the brown beasts", we also had a couple Vikings that were green, that she was very fond of. I made my first dress on that machine. Good memories. Great score!
Old 12-07-2014, 12:58 PM

wow that is great. looks brand new like they never used it.