Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
circle magic quilt >

circle magic quilt

circle magic quilt

Old 12-10-2014, 01:46 PM

I used to make circles back in the 70's by putting a thumb tack stuck down with tape and point pointing up. Place the middle of the fabric on the tack and sew away. I do not think they had a tool/attachment back then. Since I do not sew enough circles to buy the attachment, I will stick with my old way.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:10 PM

Sounds very much like Rotarians
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Another tip- use a short stitch length and trim the seam fairly close before turning right side out. I use a crochet hook with a fat head- maybe a G- and smooth the inside of the seam, then press before topstitching slowly.
Using pinking shears to cut around the circle helps the turned edges to be smoother.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by LindaJR View Post
I used to make circles back in the 70's by putting a thumb tack stuck down with tape and point pointing up. Place the middle of the fabric on the tack and sew away. I do not think they had a tool/attachment back then. Since I do not sew enough circles to buy the attachment, I will stick with my old way.
A lot of people still use this method--is it basically what Vikings attachment was until they improved it.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 PM

This Jenny Doan's tutorial on using her circle magic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gKvdrexKE4
Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 AM

It is important to clip the inseam properly. Are you making little "v" snips around the seam? This will compensate and smooth out most of the imperfect sewing. Usually.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
I head or saw someone tape a tack on the machine or table depending how large a circle you want. Use the tack as the center and then sew away. Have not used this myself but when I need a circle I am going to try it.
I have used this method. I taped the tack down put in the fabric then held the tack with my finger just to make sure. The machine did all the work I just sat there and smiled
Old 12-12-2014, 04:57 AM

I bought a circle maker from Nancy's notions after watching a tv segment using it- cost about $25.....confession....have not used it yet! But, if I get the urge..it will be there. I looked into the real attachment for my machine(BL)...$100.00---no thanks...
Old 12-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
This method works well if the tack is well anchored, and you let it pull the fabric around.

This works very well
Old 12-13-2014, 03:25 PM

Draw a circle on freezer paper the finished size you want. Press the shiny side of the paper on the wrong side of the fabric circle and liner. Sew following the edge of the paper. Trim close to seam and turn out. I think you'll be happy with the result.