Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote? >

The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote?

The great Thanksgiving debate argument...how do you vote?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 PM
mac

This is a really funny debate.

For me, I usually make my smooth and fluffy. If they are too smooth and more like soup, then you have added to much milk. The russet potatoes will take a lot more milk and stay fluffy more than the red potatoes or Yukon potatoes. With those varieties of potatoes, you must carefully add milk a little at a time. Gummy or gluey potatoes have been beaten too much. If you are using russet potatoes, you need to rinse them after you cut them up with water to get the extra starch off the potatoes - that will also make them gluey.

However, other than soupy mashed potatoes, I'll take any kind of mashed potatoes - lumpy or smooth - and any style. Potatoes are the perfect vegetables and the have the most diversity.

Here is a funny story about my neighbor, who when she grew up, her mother would always save the leftover potatoes and add them to the next batch. This turned her off of mashed potatoes and never made them ever again. This was the story she told me when I brought a bowl of mashed potatoes for dinner one night and she passed on having any on her plate. Everyone had seconds and thirds until there were none left. Her family raved over them. The next time I brought some, she tried them and was amazed at how good mashed potatoes were. For the 35 years we've know her, she has eaten mine and loved them. However, she still won't make mashed potatoes. During the years we know each other, I've taught her husband how to make them. He was a good student. They now have mashed potatoes for dinner once in a while.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:54 PM

The whole point of the dabate is that it is the only thing we allow arguments about on the holidays. With a large family, if we did not set limits, it could get a whole lot more crazy...lol! So smooth or lumpy is not the important thing, being able to say "I wanted my potatoes smooth!" when someone steps on your toe or bumps into you just makes everyone laugh. Makes for happy holidays every year.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:08 PM

I prefer lumpy. My inlaws have another tradition My FIL likes potato salad made with mashed potatoes instead of chunked potatoes - the normal mustardy potato salad. It tastes the same but looks strange.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 PM
Power Poster

sorry, no lumps. that would only mean I didn't have the strength to mash them all flat!!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 AM

I just thought I would point out that this great debate is still going, and no one is upset by it. That is exactly why we only allow this argument on holidays. See how well it works? Merry Christmas to you all and feel free to borrow our debate,
Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Every time I see this thread, I start craving mashed potatoes.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Guess what I had for supper last night - smashed potatoes & fritos. lol
Old 12-11-2014, 12:36 PM

Ok, I gotta ask...what on God's green earth did you make that calls for potatoes and Fritos?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Potatoes and Fritos that's all. Weird huh?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:25 PM

Nope just noticed where you are from, spent some time in the south. You folks have way different tastes sometimes. We have our own quirks. Ever eat a spaghetti sandwich? Lol!