Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seriously is it just me? >

Seriously is it just me?

Seriously is it just me?

Old 12-11-2014, 12:45 PM

The lady in the sewing machine shop demonstrated a couple of $3-4,000 machined to my husband and I one day and I was drooling and trying to justify doing financing to have one of those machines. Shortly after I brought up my great grandmother's old machines that I had in my basement for years and got them cleaned up and running and now I'm hooked on the old machines and their perfect stitches and I'm convinced that I wouldn't enjoy sewing as much on a machine that does so much for you, as opposed to doing it myself. There is something very special about sewing on my great grandmother's machines that adds to the enjoyment too.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:37 PM

I bet you'd love the 1966 (or so) Elna Supermatic. It's made in Switzerland out of metal. It has cams for an amazing number of stitches including all the "stretch" stitches for the brand new non-woven fabric. It sews perfect stitches.

I have three of these machines: one is my very first sewing machine bought on sale at half price (we were very poor students at the time) in 1966; the other two are from eBay and are for cannibalizing for parts. My Sweet Elna is now my backup machine. After forty years of trouble free service, I bought a Husqvarna 875 Quilt with all the bells & whistles. I love it. I deserved a new machine. And I got it at a quilt show price for $2000 LESS than I'd have paid for the same machine on sale here. Will it last forty years? A better question might be will I last another forty years.

Originally Posted by yobrosew View Post
I don't get it, either, but not so much because of the cost. My husband for years wanted to get me a brand new, expensive, no stops machine. It was like a dream to him to do this. I would go with him and try the new machines and hated them. Since the early eighties, I did not like the feel of the machines. None compared to the Wards I had inherited from my step-father. None compared to the first Kenmore my husband bought in the early eighties. Since the most basic Husquarvana I purchased in 1990, everything to me seems like junk -- even the expensive ones. They may make dream stitches but they feeeeeeel cheap to me. The 'pretties', as in exteriors and plastic trims, are cheezey, but then I have been surrounded by plastics geniuses for most of my life so probably see the poor craftsmanship and are bugged by mold lines and parts not locking properly. That is why I am not drawn to the newer, expensive machines, not the cost. Now, I would pay a lot of money for a pretty, shiny, all metal gorgeous vintage machine. I prefer cams as from an engineering standpoint, combined with materials used for such, they are actual tools. I prefer a machine I can fix and do not have to take in for every little temperamental fit. I recently obtained a Bernina made in 1976. This machine cost the original owner a LOT of money but was intended to last a lifetime. And it has outlived the owner. The monies being spent on machines of today are not an investment as in times past and will not last or be able to be repaired for a lifetime of sewing. Thus, I would have a hard time spending the money on one of these disposable machines (compared to machines of time past). To others, especially if in twilight years and have no concern to pass on to daughter, I get it. But for the most part, it does what top-of-the-line vintage machines do. Oh, the beauty and quality of the early plastics on vintage sewing machines! I get spending money on what one wants and is excited about but I don't get the looking at, let alone purchasing a new machine that costs 2K+. And the new machine followers just don't get paying all that money for something that requires changing things out and is sixty or seventy years old. To me the new machines are more work. To the followers of new machines the old machines are too much work. So, the answer your question, you are not alone in not getting it, but I accept it could be because I have some paradigm shortcomings. Thank you for braving the question as I had thought the same thing but when asked once of someone they took it as an insult and were upset, saying I was judging them and self-righteous. I was not, am not now; either are you with your question. I originally had asked because then, and even now, I am trying to figure out what I am missing in understanding as new, expensive machines make no sense to me. Oh, and after bringing the White Treadle and the Bernina 62C, DH says he so gets what I am talking about. He claimed the machine for himself and is going to quilt with me. He even hemmed his pajamas pants.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:50 PM

In the last two years I've bought a Janome txl607 a HQ Sapphire 839 and latterly Janome 12000. I abandoned the first J as I didn't take to it very well. I loved the HQ but was really after a machine that was clever enough to mask my lack of experience. I love the MC. It's the most amazing machine. I had occasion to use the HQ a few weeks back and though it felt good I was jolly glad to get back to the MC. With hindsight I realise I didn't like the little J because I was still just feeling my way and basically being a bad work woman blaming the tools. Over all that's about £6500 I've spent on machines in a very short period of time. Do I regret it - no - and just like the rest of you I just bought within my budget. And I do like trying out the various things on the MC but still many to go. I think I'm a brand person. My last three cars have all been mini coopers as will be the next one. I'd say any future SM I have in the future would in all probability be another Janome though I expect the one I have to do many many years service first!
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM

When I went looking for a machine I never dreamed that I would spend as much as I did. But once started looking and saw what one has to offer over the other then I found that my acceptable budget expanded. I also thought about the money I put in on my kids braces and what I was going to spend on college for my kid and figured that I could buy myself something for me. My machine wasn't "thousands" but if I had more money I would sure buy myself another toy. But I did buy a nice machine so that I would have a good machine that would last me for good while
Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM

I bought my Bernina for sewing and embroidery and have used since the 1990's and it's still perking as it did when new. Love it.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
some people just have a lot of money to spend on something so it's a machine. I have a handful of machines. I have an emb only machine, a sew only that I use mainly, a serger that needs to be fixed. for clothing and such. For years I sewed without a serger. it was gifted to me. I use a cheap $199 machine. it sews ag good as a more expensive one. I do use my fancy stitches all the time.
Some like me can't afford the more expensive machines. I got mine a few years ago and it was like 65.00. But it sews even though it acts up a lot to.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:02 AM

When I bought my current machine 15 years ago, I was getting back into sewing. I had not done anything but repair or very basic sewing for years. I discovered a world that I had no idea was so advanced. I was also married and could afford an expensive machine, so I bought one. I do not regret my decision then, but if I ever have to replace my current machine I will not be able to buy much more than a basic machine. At this stage in my life, I would rather use that money to travel. However, if I had the money, I would probably like to buy a more expensive machine. As for a long arm, I do not have the room and have no desire to do work for others.
Old 12-12-2014, 05:56 AM

It is all about what your means are, in co-ordination with your priorities. If you are sensible, you get the best you can afford. My take on it.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:13 AM

I would give my eye teeth for a long arm, but can't afford it nor do I have the room for one. Therefore, I send my quilts out and figure it isn't costing me anymore than my own machine. I am winding down on my quilting(age related) so not sure what this means in the way of machines. I think I am happy with what I have....a regular sewing machine and one that does do a few fancy stitches.... not an embroidery machine. I gave my daughter a nice machine 10 years ago that she didn't use....preferred her own older machine. Is now trying to sell the machine I gave her. Of course, since I gave it to her a lot more features are available on the newer ones. I also gave her a serger which she uses all the time. Guess a lot of this question can be answered with affordability and dedicated space available.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:46 AM

I spent a lot of years sewing for my four children and various household items, so they could be nicely dressed, and we could have things we could not have otherwise afforded. I am now a widow and feel I have the right to spend my money as I see fit. I don't travel, but I have a Viking Diamond Royale, a computerized Handi Quilter Avante, and a variety of other sewing machines, vintage and antique, because I wanted them. I do mostly charity quilting, because I enjoy sharing the abilities I have been gifted. Many people may think I am foolish, but as long as quilting brings me joy, I don't care what they think.