Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How much do you tip a hairdresser? >
  • How much do you tip a hairdresser?

• How much do you tip a hairdresser?

Old 12-11-2014, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

I consider myself a good tipper and a very good customer. Most of the time this has served me. I had a hair dresser who owns her own shop, she is the only one who works there. The last time I went to her I was exactly on time for my appointment. There were two men in the shop. She said "you'll have to come back in 20 minutes because I have to cut "these guys" hair". What? I said "I am exactly on time for my appointment". She said she needs 20 minutes, but don't be late because she has another client coming in. I was desperate for a haircut, so went back in 20 minutes, but, have not been back. I always tipped her $8 on a $40 haircut which took her about 20 minutes from shampoo to blow dry. I just have a simple bob. I now go to the local kids salon where the hair cut is $20 and I tip $5. Also takes 20 minutes. And if I go on a Monday morning I don't wait at all.
    Old 12-11-2014, 04:33 PM

I gave 20% to the stylist until she raised my shampoo/cut to $20 from $17...I tip all year and will not give extra at Christmas. She does my mother's hair for the $17. Her husband owns the shop. I have to think on how I'll handle the tip with the new price. Because I'm younger, I have to pay more? I have to rethink the tip part. Mom's hair and mine are the same texture and style...so it's not that she does any more 'work' on mine. I'd like to find a shop that POSTS their prices, so everyone pays the same. The last shop charged my mother double what I was charged!! Same stylist, same stylist! Go figure. Tipping drives me bonkers!!!

Last edited by coopah; 12-11-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM

The girl that does my highlights gets 20 percent from me because she does a great job and is reasonable. My hair is short and I hate when I get a hair cut and they charge me a lot and it take them ten minutes. I don't need anything but a cut because my hair is natural curly and wavy and I just wash and put some moose and push it and I am good to go. i guess I am lucky in that way.
    Old 12-11-2014, 08:35 PM

I am an easy going client, never complain ( even when sometimes I should) and always tip minimum 20%. I have been going to the same gal for a number of years, even followed her when she changed salons. Imagine my disappointment when we had a flash flood/rain right about the time I would be leaving to head to my appt. the weather was baaad. But it was a fast moving storm and so I called her to let her know I might be 5 minutes late or so. She said, sorry you will gave to reschedule. What? I can't imagine any other clients would be arriving on time either. And if I hadn't been nice and called to let her know, I would have shown up and I am sure she would have taken me. I decided next time I wouldn't be so generous with my tip. Well guess what? She uses that iPhone app and when she had me sign, I only had the choice of no tip or 20%! I reluctantly gave her the 20 as I didn't feel right giving nothing. But.....in my area the prices are outrageous so I hate going to have my hair done. Wish I was ok with being grey. Sigh.
    Old 12-12-2014, 07:12 PM

My girl is part owner and rents out 3 chairs. She set her prices and that's what I pay. I do admit that every 4 months I get highlights where she charges $45 and I pay $55. If they set their own prices and cut/style my hair in 20 minutes for $20, why would I tip?
    Old 12-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Wow, I don't know if it is common in my area of rural Oklahoma or not to tip a hairdresser, but I never have. I can't go to them anymore b/c of respiratory allergies to all the chemicals. I understand why to tip food service workers, they get paid so very little usually only a couple of dollars an hour. But hairdressers set their own price and for the amount of time they take get paid more per hour then me.
    Old 12-13-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    I consider myself a good tipper and a very good customer. Most of the time this has served me. I had a hair dresser who owns her own shop, she is the only one who works there. The last time I went to her I was exactly on time for my appointment. There were two men in the shop. She said "you'll have to come back in 20 minutes because I have to cut "these guys" hair". What? I said "I am exactly on time for my appointment". She said she needs 20 minutes, but don't be late because she has another client coming in. I was desperate for a haircut, so went back in 20 minutes, but, have not been back. I always tipped her $8 on a $40 haircut which took her about 20 minutes from shampoo to blow dry. I just have a simple bob. I now go to the local kids salon where the hair cut is $20 and I tip $5. Also takes 20 minutes. And if I go on a Monday morning I don't wait at all.
    bad business on stylist part! I dont mind waiting if needed but but her telling you to leave and then dont be late was rude! Not sure that I would return, either! I allow time for the stylist running behind but that was uncalled for.

I have to change stylist at my salon because she (owner) no longer works Saturdays and I cannot keep,coming in during the weekdays. The "newer" stylists charge less so at least I will save some $$ too. She was "new" when I started with her but 12 years later, she owns the salon and charges more. She is good but our schedules no longer jive.
    sandy

Last edited by Sandygirl; 12-13-2014 at 04:03 AM.
    Old 12-13-2014, 04:07 AM

I really don't have a set "rule" on how much I tip but I know I tip very well.
    Old 12-13-2014, 06:25 AM

We have been going to the same place to get our hair cuts for the past 15 years or so. We only pay $8 per cut and get an excellent cut. It takes her about 15 minutes each to cut my hair and DH's hair. We usually give her $20 for both. We just got a hair cut yesterday and gave her $30.
    Old 12-13-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB
    We have been going to the same place to get our hair cuts for the past 15 years or so. We only pay $8 per cut and get an excellent cut. It takes her about 15 minutes each to cut my hair and DH's hair. We usually give her $20 for both. We just got a hair cut yesterday and gave her $30.

$8? What year is she living in? Wow!

sandy