Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Trouble With Best Press >
  • Trouble With Best Press

• Trouble With Best Press

Old 12-13-2014, 05:21 AM

Sue, how do you clean your iron. I recently bought an Olisso iron and I just bought some iron cleaner at the store but am afraid to use it on my Olisso - don't want to hurt it!

Originally Posted by SuziSew
    Does your iron have a Teflon coating? I wonder if the Best Press doesn't play well with Teflon. Mine is stainless and depending on how much I use it I have to clean the plate off often or it does build up.
    Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 AM

For Rennie ... for the Olisso only use a damp cloth to clean it. I've never needed anything more than that. The surface is very easy to clean!

Sarabella ... agree because of the scratches that it's time for a new iron, but I wanted to ask if you are pressing immediately after spraying, or are you letting the spray "set" into the fabric a few minutes?
    Old 12-13-2014, 05:50 AM

Surely must be the iron. I have used Best Press with three different irons and different sole plates, from old to new, and have never had this trouble. However, I do think after a while the ironing board pass will look scorched, but this is after many, many sprays. Never black though.
    Old 12-13-2014, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon
    FYI! Teflon gas kills cage birds. That info has been out for years but I'm posting just in case some of you are new to bird keeping and still own teflon pans.

Definitely time for a new iron.

Get busted by the baking police, too. We had cockatiels and I tossed all coated cookware unless glass or enamel coated.
    The baking police can be worse than the quilt police, believe it or not.
    Old 12-13-2014, 06:05 AM

My Rowenta has a stainless soleplate, no problems here.
    Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 AM
    Power Poster

My grandmother who passed it on to me, would soak a washcloth in vinegar and water 1 part vinegar to 2 pts water. Then wring excess out and iron on highest heat. I use a white terrycloth towel. Also if you are cleaning a steam iron, fill your iron as usual and proceed. It just helps to loosen any build up on the iron. The thick terrycloth works like a soft scrubber without damaging the bottom of the iron. I quit buying Teflon anything along time ago. Went back to using my cast iron. DH did get set of calphalon. but uses cast iron for things that need to cook on high heat like his steaks. I got one bottle of Best Press, hated it and pitched it.
    Old 12-13-2014, 06:52 AM

My iron directions are to fill the water reservoir with water and 1 t. salt. Let stand 15 min. Drain. Repeat. Drain and fill with plain water. Drain and it's ready to use.

I only use distilled water in my iron. At less than one dollar a gallon, I feel it's worth it. I bought my iron at a rummage sale at least 10 years ago. I actually have a new one still in its box, but never felt the need to get it out.
    Old 12-13-2014, 07:49 AM

I have this problem with Best Press and nothing else so I don't use it anymore. I had the problem with uncoated and coated irons. I have never once had a problem with my Faultless Heavy Starch. I would much rather spend my time creating than trying to figure out how to clean Best Press off my iron or fabric!
    Old 12-13-2014, 10:20 AM

I have never had any trouble with Best Press on my iron or my 100% cotton fabric.
    Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 PM

I've discovered (the hard way) that light fabrics and Best Press don't play well together.