Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What a difference good lighting makes! >

What a difference good lighting makes!

What a difference good lighting makes!

Old 12-12-2014, 02:21 PM

DH and I are very tall people - he is 6'5". We remodeled a bathroom, and asked to have the mirror raised. The contractor did it without comment. Then his father came around and told him he had made a mistake. The contractor told his father "You haven't seen these people". The contractor and his father were on the short side.

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Don't you love it when someone tells you what you don't want. I know a few builders who did it their way and houses sat on market because of the way lights and appliances have been placed.i don't mind some one saying I may want to rethink but don't tell me what I don't want.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:56 AM

I'm glad to find I have some kindred spirits. I have coworkers who sit in their offices all day with one lamp, no windows, and no other light source. I'd be suicidal if I had to do that. Light is a big deal to me. After reading this thread I don't feel so freaky any more.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I bought a clip on 12 bulb LED light from Lowe's and it's great to clip on my ironing station, cutting table, and sewing table. I like it better then my Ott lamp. When I go back to Lowe's I'll buy more, there was only one left and I will buy the regular base one too. It was $20.
Will have to look into that.....great for traveling and classes/retreats maybe
Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 AM

I feel like I am in a dungeon if I don't have plenty of light. Our house glows like an outhouse in a fog and I wouldn't have it any other way. I just put a very bright light on my sewing machine and bought an extra base for it so I could use the light on my two favorite machines. It's a great help and if you have vision problems it's a necessity.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Haha quilt1950! Lee Valley is my DH's LQS too! Check out their surgical steel blade seam rippers. They are great! I love to browse thru their Christmas catalog.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:10 AM

When I remodeled my upstairs for renters, I asked the electrician to put a light in the closet up there. I have them in my downstairs closets. He absolutely refused. I begged. He refused. No light got put in there.
Also, I wanted outlets about every six feet or so all around the rooms. He said, "Why do you want to put in so many outlets? You are only going to have renters in here." Is that racism? ? ? Or something? ? ? But I did get my outlets, and there are a few places my renter wishes there were another one. I have outlets near most light switches, and those are a "God-send".
Old 12-13-2014, 06:45 AM

Funny how men THINK they know just what we want and just what we need! Hang in there and push for what you know you want. We're the ones doing the work!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:45 AM

For the best lighting for my sewing machines (4) I have Inspired LED Sewing Machine Kits from Inspired. They are reasonable priced at$30.00. Believe me it is worth EVERY penny. My husband installed them very easily, In some cases he cut and soldered them to form around the corners. I love them and what a GREAT deal.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM

I just watched the video for the Inspired lighting, so it is now on my "order quickly" wishlist. Three out of four of my SR walls are a purple and the other a lavender. It was this color when we bought the house. After Christmas I plan to paint it a light color.

To me, I just feel like I can't have too much lighting! After I paint the room, I plan to have some sort of LED lighting system installed, so any recommendations and pictures would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-13-2014, 10:25 AM

The neighbors call it my (airport) "runway lights" or sometimes, my "tanning salon"!
Jan I have been told the same thing by my family. My studio has 2 track light setups. One in each room with day light led bulbs. I love the light and feel good when I am working in my studio. I also have ott lights at the machines. I have an ott light next to my chair in the living room for hand work. Good Lighting is a must and worth every penny. Luann