Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
some things are not usable "forever" >

some things are not usable "forever"

some things are not usable "forever"

Old 12-15-2014, 09:30 PM

I'm glad I hung onto some small scraps of cotton batting! I'm working on an old Minnesota Model A -- didn't realize the oil wick for lubricating the shuttle was missing! I cut two layers of cotton batting and soaked those with oil so the shuttle gets the oil it needs!

Jeanette
Old 12-16-2014, 06:25 AM

Darn, House Dragon, you beat me to it for the buttons Jan doesn't want. I have had a button tin for forever and I can't believe how many of those "choice" buttons are already gone. I use them for many thing, the latest was the fabric boxes we all made. So, I find that mostly, what is left of my magnificent cache is all dull brown and black. waaaah!
Old 12-16-2014, 07:03 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I just used a 25 yr+ bottle of Modge Podge and it worked perfectly....now white glue like Tacky and Elmers...not so much.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:24 AM

[QUOTE=HouseDragon;7009231] the whole point of most of this thread is how to make use of what you have without trashing it. At least I hope that's what most of us are getting out of the many ideas that have been posted.

Now for my own "Nightmare": We have a shipment of things that were in storage over twenty years while we were living abroad. They are now in a local storage unit and one of the things near the top of the 2015 Things To Do List is go through that stuff. A lot of it is stuff our then teenagers wanted to keep. Somehow I doubt they still want any of it back. OTOH, as old as some of that "stuff" is, some of it might now be considered "collectible" *LOL*
[QUOTE]

Kellen46, your story brought tears to my eyes. I love it when people make use of everything. I know it wasn't easy, but you made the best of it.

HouseDragon: Pleas don't get rid of those things until you ask your adult children. I had a record player when my children were small, and they played "The Little Red Wagon" every day, no, more than every day. And it didn't bother me. Now that record players are coming back, one of my sons found a picture of one and showed it to all of us. The kids then remembered the wagon song. Well, I knew I had a pile of old records in the upstairs closet. It didn't take long to find it, but then I had to find a player that would play 78's. The one I had was broken. A square dance caller had given me an old player of his that had variable speeds, from 16 to 78. That one worked.
The kids were here for Thanksgiving this year, and I put on that record. The looks on their faces was priceless. I have a photo of five of these now 50+ year-olds listening to it, and that photo will be a treasure forever. Another son was on the other side of the room and didn't get into the picture, and two more were not there. But the picture says it all.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
Haha! This made me laugh!

I despise clutter so I've gotten pretty good at deciding if I'll truly use something or should just pitch it. I need order and clean surfaces to focus. I've seen people here say many times that if your sewing room is clean, you must not be creative. I beg to differ... I'd never be able to create amongst clutter.

I agree - I cannot stand clutter either! I know where everything is in my sewing room, and hate it if it is not at my fingertips when I need it. When I am done for the day, the scissors are put back in the spinning holder on the table, and all is tidy for the next day. I may have stacks of blocks I am working on out on the table, but that is all!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
Darn, House Dragon, you beat me to it for the buttons Jan doesn't want. I have had a button tin for forever and I can't believe how many of those "choice" buttons are already gone. I use them for many thing, the latest was the fabric boxes we all made. So, I find that mostly, what is left of my magnificent cache is all dull brown and black. waaaah!

Keep an eye out in thrift stores! I sometimes find a button hoard.

Hey Jan! I meant to say I'd pay postage for those unwanted buttons.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=maviskw;7009913][QUOTE=HouseDragon;7009231] the whole point of most of this thread is how to make use of what you have without trashing it. At least I hope that's what most of us are getting out of the many ideas that have been posted.

Now for my own "Nightmare": We have a shipment of things that were in storage over twenty years while we were living abroad. They are now in a local storage unit and one of the things near the top of the 2015 Things To Do List is go through that stuff. A lot of it is stuff our then teenagers wanted to keep. Somehow I doubt they still want any of it back. OTOH, as old as some of that "stuff" is, some of it might now be considered "collectible" *LOL*

Kellen46, your story brought tears to my eyes. I love it when people make use of everything. I know it wasn't easy, but you made the best of it.

HouseDragon: Pleas don't get rid of those things until you ask your adult children. I had a record player when my children were small, and they played "The Little Red Wagon" every day, no, more than every day. And it didn't bother me. Now that record players are coming back, one of my sons found a picture of one and showed it to all of us. The kids then remembered the wagon song. Well, I knew I had a pile of old records in the upstairs closet. It didn't take long to find it, but then I had to find a player that would play 78's. The one I had was broken. A square dance caller had given me an old player of his that had variable speeds, from 16 to 78. That one worked.
The kids were here for Thanksgiving this year, and I put on that record. The looks on their faces was priceless. I have a photo of five of these now 50+ year-olds listening to it, and that photo will be a treasure forever. Another son was on the other side of the room and didn't get into the picture, and two more were not there. But the picture says it all.
I'd frame a copy of that special photo for each of my kids (all of them).

Yes, I plan on asking my kids if they want any of it back: I'll inventory as I unpack each box. Luckily one of our kids lives locally but he's not a "hoarder" like his mother so I expect there won't be much he'll want to keep.

There are lots of books which I'll gift to the grandkiddies over a period of time.

DD is even less of a "hoarder" so I expect she'll say no knowing what the postage would be from here.

What I am sure of is that it's going to be a very nostalgic adventure: time travel at its best!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Bearisgray,
You can add:

leftovers....fabric scraps, partial patterns, 3-out-of-4 buttons, that trim you'll never use, batting scraps when you have yards of leftover batting pieces, a "finished" bobbin with about 2-3 yards of thread left on it
UFOs older than dirt which you'll never get around to completing
(These last two are "attention span". THAT does not seem to last forever either. )

Jan in VA
Ahhh... now Jan.....I was going along agreeing with everything until I hit this point. Now those are my absolute favorite loves! Nothing makes me more happy than to use all those bits and bobs! Now if you can't stand it and feel the urge to throw away then STOP! You can send them on to me and I will cherish them. Heck I'll even pay you to ship. Lol!
Old 12-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
i agree. My parents were savers of everything. We never threw away anything that could possibly be used again. I got the habit from them. I struggle with getting rid of things. I do get rid of things that I feel could be dangerous such as worn out rotary blades. But I must confess, I have a lot of glass jars saved for "something".

This is just how I grew up and it's really hard to let things go. I really need to start getting rid of stuff, but I get overwhelmed and close that door or cupboard.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:45 PM

For the New Year I am doing a purge and throwing away those worn out, tired items. Wish I had a better attention span too, Jan! Mine seems to be totally worn!