Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Five year rule >

Five year rule

Five year rule

Old 12-17-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
Toss scraps. No one wants them, and I won't use them. I don't like scrappy quilts. If I can make Candies using a Sizzix die, and it's a fabric I really like, I will, but if the scraps don't fit there, or don't look like something I'd want in the future, bye-bye.
I save my scraps because there are several elderly people at the senior citizen center that want them. They cannot affford to by a lot of fabrics.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 AM

I'm not a hoarder but.... just found the most perfect color cotton for binding that was only 32" selvage to selvage and came fro my grandmother's dry good store (not called fabric stores then) which she had AT THE TUN OF THE CENTURY circa 1903! So glad I didn't get rid of that!

I have invited girlfriends over to do a day of charity quilts and let them go to town on material that seems to be hanging around a while. Last time we completed 6 lap quilts in one day and I cleared some space for some new material on the shelves.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Red face

*** Don't have this rule, BUT
*** starting today I am cleaning out closets.
*** I live alone and I am MAD at myself for letting my house & closets get soooooooo CLUTTERED.
*** I am tired of Moving something to get to what I want.
*** I am not but I feel like a HOARDER.
*** Going to take it slow and easy, BUT
*** SO TODAY IT BEGINS.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
After five years, you are allowed to get rid of 1. Old, bent needles and pins. 2. Worn out rotary blades. 3. Bits of batting smaller than 2" square. 4. Nubs of chalk pencils. 5. Dried out glue sticks. 6. Dull seam rippers 7. That partridge in a pear tree (it takes up a lot of room). Keep everything else!
Angelia has nailed it!!! However I do have a further suggestion. Change the clothes rule to every 2 years and then you can use the extra space for more fabric storage. That would solve your dilemma of needing more fabric space.

On one point I must strongly disagree with Weezy!!! DO NOT TOSS SCRAPS!! If by some odd chance you are a quilter who doesn't want or use them, just box them up and send them to me. I LOVE scraps! I love making scrappy quilts. I will toss half my clothes to have room for more scraps!!
Although some quilters are a little misguided on this point, or more likely, they have their own unique outlook an scraps and scrappy quilting, there are always more than enough of us out here who are scrap-a-holics to keep scraps out of the bins!!

Last edited by wildyard; 12-17-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:40 AM

Well there are so many gadgets and gizmos when it comes to sewing and quilting. Keep the items you have used in the last 5 years, the rest I would donate. I love finding those items at the Goodwill and thrift shops. Fabric is getting so expensive. I would get rid of my clothes before my fabric. Plus my clothes keep shrinking so that makes it easy. If you need to lesson your load donate the pieces you fell don't talk to you. Hey is you could sell them on this board. Lot's of us hoarders here.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:26 AM

I have quite a stash of fabric, but I have donated a lot over the years. Several years ago a neighbor of a friend was looking for material for boy scouts to make pillow cases, I gave her quite a bit of fabric, mostly novelties that I figured I would never use. This past year my local sewing machine dealer was asking for donations for quilts for kids - they didn't care how large or how small. I have them a lot also.

But since joining this group I have been so inspired by all the projects that are shown that I am now really into using up my stash by making projects I probably would have never even thought about. If you donate some fabric that you are almost certain you will never use, that's okay. If you have quilter friends, maybe they can give you some inspiration as to how to use up some of the stash. I totally understand about needing space, I don't have the shelf units or the comic boards on which to place my fabric, it's all in totes, large, medium and small.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Now that good quality quilt shop fabrics are so expensive, I'm glad I have a stash to pull fabrics from.
If you really feel that you must get rid of fabrics that are 5 years old, find a group that makes charity quilts; they will be thrilled to get them. I make lots of scrap quilts from my groups scraps, they are fun to use.
Here are some pictures of my scrappy quilts I make for 2 charities.
Sharon in Texas
maker of charity quilts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	charity quilts 001.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	502843   Click image for larger version

Name:	charity quilts 003 - Copy.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	502844   Click image for larger version

Name:	string quilt and big dogs 002.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	502845  

Last edited by purplefiend; 12-17-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by giquilt View Post
What do u need the extra room for?
Silly quilter, for more fabric of course!
Old 12-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
After five years, you are allowed to get rid of 1. Old, bent needles and pins. 2. Worn out rotary blades. 3. Bits of batting smaller than 2" square. 4. Nubs of chalk pencils. 5. Dried out glue sticks. 6. Dull seam rippers 7. That partridge in a pear tree (it takes up a lot of room). Keep everything else!
I'm with her. No way am I getting rid of anything else.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:38 PM

I think 5 years ago fabric was not $12.99 a yard, so I would keep it.