Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
"New" Sewing Room >

"New" Sewing Room

"New" Sewing Room

Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM

I am so happy for you.
It is obvious you have an organizational knack.
How did you organize the boxes?:
I tried to do it but there were so many things that didn't fit.

Can you share with me what is in each plastic box, so you know where everything goes?
Hoplelessly confused
Hil
Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Your storage looks fabulous!!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM

i love your room...makes me feel the urge to clean up mine, but i share with my 16 yr old daughter and my daugher in law...so thier stuff keeps growing over where i already "reorganized" i would love to know where you got the pattern for the mini quilt of the windmills. being a "little dutch girl" i can see that as a great christmas gift for my mom & all my aunts (on both sides) pls let me know if you could thanks
Old 01-05-2010, 03:03 PM

wow, that bed sounds like something I need. Where did you find the pattern/plans for it,and the mechanism. This is perfect for our little cabin!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by maryb.43
wow, that bed sounds like something I need. Where did you find the pattern/plans for it,and the mechanism. This is perfect for our little cabin!
Thanks, Mary. We bought the plans & mechanism kit from the folks at http://www.wallbed.com/. They were very helpful; their plans include a DVD and detailed cutting instructions. I see that they're offering free shipping now; that's a good deal, since it cost us almost $100 to ship it to CA from KY.

We don't have a suitable carpentry space, so my husband took the plans to Home Depot, bought the plywood, had it cut, brought it home, and constructed the thing on our patio. The last bits had to be done in place, however, as you can't move it once you get to that point.

He added small lights from IKEA to the top, that you can control while you're lying down. (Did you download the photo of the bed? I made it an animation that shows the bed closed, opening, and fully open. It doesn't come across properly here, for some reason.) We also added some molding at the top and bottom. They say "no wall mounting needed," but we live in earthquake country, so you better believe that sucker is very firmly mounted to the wall! :lol:

I'm very happy with it and encourage you to look into it. As I said earlier, my husband had never done any woodworking before and it turned out wonderfully.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings
i love your room...makes me feel the urge to clean up mine, but i share with my 16 yr old daughter and my daugher in law...so thier stuff keeps growing over where i already "reorganized" i would love to know where you got the pattern for the mini quilt of the windmills. being a "little dutch girl" i can see that as a great christmas gift for my mom & all my aunts (on both sides) pls let me know if you could thanks
Thanks for your nice words. The windmill quilt was a swap I received from a charming young woman in Germany. The detail on it is wonderful. I believe that she made the pattern up herself.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:28 PM

Wooonderful space! I think that my husband needs to make a murphy bed for my craft room cause it is the spare bedroom as well. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hilary
I am so happy for you.
It is obvious you have an organizational knack. How did you organize the boxes? I tried to do it but there were so many things that didn't fit.

Can you share with me what is in each plastic box, so you know where everything goes?
Hoplelessly confused
Hil
Hey Hil,

The trick to organizing things is to find what things have in common and then put "like" things with "like." Let's see if I can recall from here (currently playing "hooky" at work!) what's in all my boxes...

Across the top and at the bottom next to the bed:
-- A quilt that my mom started for my son, and now that she's gone, I will finish for her. 2010!
-- Blue/white/silver fabric pieces I've been collecting to go with some wonderful (but obscenely expensive) hand-painted fabric I bought in Amsterdam and am afraid to cut into!
-- Fabric for another quilt I was going to make for a friend -- until she told me that she'd changed the colors in her room!
-- Small quilt kits that I got on sale and haven't gotten to yet.
-- Christmas fabric, mostly from my mom's stash, that I probably need to do something with.
-- Fall fabric that includes two nearly done table runner gifts and enough left over to make a wall quilt for me. 2010!
-- "Spec Fabric" -- pieces that I've found at sales that were too good to pass up, but don't have anything specific to do just yet.
-- A batch of wonderful batiks (again, on sale) that will become a quilt for good friends who got married last year. 2010!
-- Larger pieces of whites, creams, and light/dark blues (a recurring theme in most of my quilts)

The smaller containers next to the bed contain:
-- 2-1/2" strips
-- small scraps (good for paper piecing)
-- larger scraps (larger than the next batch)
-- (one each) 1-1/2", 2", 2-1/2", and 3" scraps

The salad mix containers near the door hold:
-- several small WIP
-- my black/white and white/black pairs being collected for something wonderful (dunno what yet...)
-- my growing "rainbow" collection of FQs, again waiting for the "perfect" quilt
-- bits and pieces of batting (sewn together, they make perfect filler for potholders, another favorite thing of mine; see avatar!)

As you can see, I tend to collect things until I find just the right pattern to use them with. As for patterns, I save ones I get online and torn out from magazines (less space than saving the entire issue) in the file boxes you see on the shelves next to the corner.

My fabulously wonderful husband gave me a super-cool label maker for Christmas, so I've been having fun putting nice labels on the file boxes, plastic drawers, etc, etc. ["Easily amused" -- that's me! :lol: ]
Old 01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Power Poster

Oh man.............will you please adopt me??? Everything looks so organized.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954
Oh man.............will you please adopt me??? Everything looks so organized.
You will notice that I did NOT show you photos of my desk in the next room!! :oops:

I can keep the rest of the house -- kitchen, LR, bathroom, bedroom, and (most of the time) even my sewing room -- looking like semi-normal people live there. For the life of me, I just can't seem to figure out why I have such difficulty with my desk area! Too much stuff and not enough storage spaces, I guess.

I should hire that clever person who organized my sewing room to help me. Oh, wait, that was ME!! Aaackk!! :oops: