Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me or are feathers becoming too common? >

Is it just me or are feathers becoming too common?

Is it just me or are feathers becoming too common?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:00 AM
DJ

To each his own ... I love it all! For my own quilts, however, I want to do it all myself, so that limits my quilting style. The size of the quilt will sometimes dictate whether I use my DMC or hand quilt. So "less is more" is usually the theme of my quilting. LOL
Old 12-21-2014, 08:08 AM

I sent out my "showstopper!" to my fav la. We decided on a price and I wanted feathers and the whole shebang. She called me while working on it. We had decided on a motif in each plain block, but they were surrounded by 4,000 hst - very busy. I used wool batting and she just said that feathers would really pack it down and it looked nice plainer. I went along with her idea. It ended up costing me less and I do like it. So glad she spoke up. But I still love feathers and will do them another time.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
When I quilted by check I knew nothing of the process, so asked her what did she recommend? She showed me a panto graph that perfectly complemented my quilt and saved me a lot of money, which I don't have much of. I think they are only too perfect if they are too obviously wrong for the design of the quilt. Your statement of having "no soul" tells me your are a true artist, and as such I understand your feelings, but I just like to make hugs to leave behind when I am gone, and I love piecing, just have no desire to be an artistic quilter. I respect those that are, but there needs to be something available for newbie LAQs, fixed income customers, and people like me who just want to keep the layers together. I have even been known to tie quilts. (Gasp!) After saying all of this, I do love to see the quilting artists displaying their art at shows and here, because I now know what it really takes to do it. Peace
"but I just like to make hugs to leave behind when I am gone, "

I find this is true of many customers. Cost of longarm quilting determines their choice also most do not want a stiff quilt as the quilt is meant to be used. If you look around you might find longarm quilters that will do a basic all over and or some custom free hand for the same price as a panto.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:53 AM

I like feathers, but they don't fit every quilt. I do my own quilting so making a long arrmer aware isn't an issue. My friend, who make gorgeous quilts, has all her quilting done by a long armer and the results are stunning.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon

Oh! And the last thing I'd pay for would be a computerized design! To me they are too perfect and have no soul.

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
When I quilted by check I knew nothing of the process, so asked her what did she recommend? She showed me a panto graph that perfectly complemented my quilt and saved me a lot of money, which I don't have much of. I think they are only too perfect if they are too obviously wrong for the design of the quilt. Your statement of having "no soul" tells me your are a true artist, and as such I understand your feelings, but I just like to make hugs to leave behind when I am gone, and I love piecing, just have no desire to be an artistic quilter. I respect those that are, but there needs to be something available for newbie LAQs, fixed income customers, and people like me who just want to keep the layers together. I have even been known to tie quilts. (Gasp!) After saying all of this, I do love to see the quilting artists displaying their art at shows and here, because I now know what it really takes to do it. Peace
I agree that all over patterns like pantos can be perfect for those with limited funds who cannot do the quilting themselves or just simply love piecing but not quilting.

With that said, my retirement funds are reserved for paid quilting on my most precious quilts which beg for quilting I cannot do myself. So far that is one quilt. PINKS & Fairies took me two years to finally finish the top (in between numerous other quilts and "quilty" projects). It's a log cabin that in my mind begs for handcrafted feathers and curls.

Something I'm working at achieving but my skills don't match this special quilt for my DGD. Meanwhile, I do the best I can on the rest. AKA Practice! Practice! Practice!

I'll add that my BFF had one of her quilts pantographed with an all over dragonfly design. I love Dragonflies! And if one of my quilts tells me that that design is what it needs, I won't hesitate to go for it.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
McTavishing is a background filler which employs long swooping lines and curves. It can be made very densely to pack down the background or it can be made loosely to add motion and interest to the quilt top.

This link shows some examples ..... http://www.designerquilts.com/gallery5_mctavishing.html
Thanks for the link. I just learned something totally new today.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

IMHO Feathers are a time honored traditional quilting design motif. They have been used in quilting for about as long as quilting has been in existence. So they are certainly not a new trend. It is no surprise that they continue to be used in today's quilting and not just by LAQ. Beautifully executed feathers are still done by hand and also by DSM quilters. I love the look of well done feathers and I enjoy quilting them too. When I got my LA feathers were most definitely the motif I wanted to master first and foremost. Once feathers are mastered, countless other motifs can be made using the same principal as making feathers, such as leaf and vine, ferns, waves etc.
Are they being over used as a quilting motif? Well that is a matter of opinion. Just like what is over quilted to one, may be just right to another. As far as quilting all over with no regard to piecing, sometimes an all over design is just right for some quilts. I have done many that all over design is exactly what the quilt needed. And I have done others where SITD and just a bit of embellishment quilting to get the quilt to sing is what is needed.
It all boils down to preference and what your pocketbook can bear.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:37 PM

I agree. Generally, I think the piecing should be the star. I have seen beautifully feathered quilting which is appropriate for the quilt. I have also seen quilts overwhelmed by the quilting design - not just feathers.

However, I think many of the recent long arm quilting I have seen here lately complements the quilt design.
I wish I could afford to have one of my tops professionally done.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:03 PM

You haven't seen my computerized quilting or you would never say that computerized designs are "too perfect".
Old 12-21-2014, 09:12 PM

I use a large stipple on many of the charity quilts I do. Some look better than others, but if I go fancier they won't get done. However, I make sure that the entire quilt has quilting no more than 4 inches apart since the quilts are likely to get rough treatment during use and laundering.