Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros and Cons of Machine Quilting on a Frame >

Pros and Cons of Machine Quilting on a Frame

Pros and Cons of Machine Quilting on a Frame

Old 12-26-2014, 07:26 AM

I did it! Eep. Just ordered a Grace Queen frame. Thanks, everyone!
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM

I have the 10ft Grace Frame with the Pfaff GQ 1200
It isn't much throat space but it gets me by. I just do some pantos and stipple/meander
It was such a great deal
Kirsten
Old 12-26-2014, 11:15 AM

The Hinterburg and the Grace look really good! What fun that would be! And they are not so awfully expensive!
Old 12-26-2014, 11:33 AM

I am the odd one out, I know that but I had a machine on a frame and didn't really enjoy it. It was a fuss loading the quilt, I didn't like the restriction of having to quilt across the rows and I prefer the motion of moving the quilt instead of the machine.
I packed my frame and machine up and got myself a sweet sixteen sit down model and I love it. I am hanging on to the frame for now because everyone seems to consider it the better way to quilt. I figure I'll take my time to be sure that I am keeping the right machine and set up.
I hope that you love your new toy. Take your time and don't expect perfection right away.
Old 12-26-2014, 11:47 AM

Coffecozy, like I said, there is some design and quilt format that I much prefer to do with my Juki. I don't think quilting on a frame is a better way to quilt. Just different. I think it must mainly depend on your quilting style. It's true that having to go row by row is sometimes very restrictive. I love curves and pebble design, and this is more fun for me to do on a frame. But for straight lines design, I prefer my Juki!
Old 12-26-2014, 12:08 PM

Yes, yes, yes, to the frame. Mine also has the metal conduit for the rails, I have mine at 10 feet. Used it with my Juki until I could afford the 18" Innova, wouldn't go back to the other way, too very hard on my arthritic back. You can stop at any point and just resume where you left off if you get tired!!!
Old 12-27-2014, 10:41 AM

OMG!!! I ordered the Grace frame yesterday from eBay (Sew Vac Direct), and it was delivered TODAY!!!! Now I'm feeling pressured... I have to finish the quilt I'm piecing so I can play with my new toy.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by JenelTX View Post
OMG!!! I ordered the Grace frame yesterday from eBay (Sew Vac Direct), and it was delivered TODAY!!!! Now I'm feeling pressured... I have to finish the quilt I'm piecing so I can play with my new toy.
don't rush! Just get several yards of inexpensive Fabric and play! You can always use it as a throw in the car, picnic blanket, etc. I love my long arm and would never go back to quilting on my DSM!
Old 12-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
...I love my long arm and would never go back to quilting on my DSM!
I still just have the DSM, except now it'll be on the frame. But I'll probably upgrade to a longarm at some point. I seem to be pretty darn hooked. Good idea, playing first before I try the real thing. I definitely wouldn't want to mess up the project I'm piecing now.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:34 AM

I'd like to point out that everyone who said they love quilting on a frame has a long arm, not the 9 inch machine you and I both have. I HAD to have a frame. It now stays folded up behind my couch. I prefer to just set my machine into my desk and quilt sitting down. I still dream of a long arm on a frame, but the 9 inch harp just did not work well for me on a frame. I hope you love your frame way more than I did.