Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Zentangles? >

Zentangles?

Zentangles?

Old 01-09-2015, 06:40 PM

Time is the issue with me and I'm retired and old.....HeeHee! I'm not sure I can quiet myself down enough to get the true benefit from the "Zen" part of Zentangle. The one I made the other night was made while I was waiting for certain foods to cook. I seldom just sit.
Susann.....you are most welcome for my starting this thread. As with most things, there are so many people with such a vast range of experiences on this board that I figured someone would answer. However, I was surprised at how many responses there has been.....Isn't it wonderful??????
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 PM

It is absolutely beautiful!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:50 PM

Love it and it does look like Zentangle.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:00 PM

wendiq, me again. I actually think the Design Originals books by Suzanne McNeill are great for beginners, because they are very basic and not overwhelming. Her first book (Zentangle Basics) is not a favorite of mine; I found it was not quite explanatory enough, if you know what I mean. I also have her books #2 through #8 and they are very good and contain a lot more explanation about how to do each Tangle. Another Design Originals book is Joy of Zentangle; that's a really great one.

The books by Kass Hall and Sandy Steen Bartholomew are a bit more advanced, in my opinion. And I second someone's recommendation of the tangle patterns website; she really does a good job in putting everything together.

I wish you luck in settling down long enough to enjoy doing some tangles! That's the hardest part, to shut off one's brain and just go with the flow...
Old 01-09-2015, 08:19 PM

Was introduced by to zen doodling by a person who does it very well. Found it enjoyable and amazed at my efforts. I did small ones and would include one in my water bill when I paid it. It is the only one I don't pay electronicallly. Enjoy it most when I have good paper and tools.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:51 PM

I have been doing zendoodling/zentangle for a year now and I love it. I mainly use it for pain management and find it fun and helpful. Not sure how that would translate to fabric for me since sewing too much is a pain trigger.
I find it very interesting to see how my creations evolve through different stages and styles.
I often hear the comment that l should use some of mine in quilts, but l think they mean using fabric in the different areas, not stitching the design onto wholecloth.

Last edited by wildyard; 01-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:40 PM

Is there a difference in zentangling and doodling? I've "doodled" for years on paper.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:05 AM

Yes Teddybear Lady... because a couple of really smart people copyrighted the word "Zentangle"...LOL.

People who are certified to teach Zentangle will convince you there's a big difference. I'm not so sure, but I still enjoy doing it.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:44 AM

It is my understanding that the difference lies in what you draw. If you fill your spaces with patterns that do not create an actual item, such as a flower, frog, fish or whatever that is Zentangle. If you do use actual items in your patterns, then it is Zendoodle. Zentangle is the creation of repetitious patterns and Zendoodle is creating a picture with your Zentangles. I am mainly a doodler but do both. Here are a couple pics to show my understanding of the difference. I could be wrong of course, LOL. That has been known to happen. As you can see, even my mainly tangles have some doodling in them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ooohh fu tangled.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	505488   Click image for larger version

Name:	tangledflowers.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	505489  

Last edited by wildyard; 01-10-2015 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I took a class some years ago when it was becoming popular. I wasn't interested enough to continue with it. My then neighbor who took the class with me kept it up longer until one day she said well what am I going to do with papers full of doodles? I think it's nice that some are using it in quilting. It's all original.
It might be interesting to copy them onto fabric and quilt something for her with them. I bet she would treasure it forever.