money to be made with repair?

Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 PM

Thank you again for your replies. I believe we will move forward with repairs and rehome them. We will do more inquiring on the different machines and their value. If you think of something please let us know. So far we have four red eyes and a few others. Given us experience in cleaning and mechanics.we live in Indianaplois, so we do not know the values yet. Any help? Thanks
Old 01-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

Value is a very subjective topic. The short answer is any machine on any given day is worth whatever a seller is willing to accept and a buyer is willing to pay.

The long answer is it depends. Condition of the machine and cabinet or case, if the manual and accessories are there, if it's a rare or highly sought after machine, if you guarantee your work, the phase of the moon, what part of the country you're in, how good you are at marketing the machine, all of these things and more can determine a machines' value. Only you and your buyer can decide that. Also you have to think about how long are you willing to sit on it if you're determined to ask a higher price.

Cari
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM

Arn't worth much if the decals are not in good condition. Parts are in demand with others missing slide plates, spoked wheels, and bobbin winders though I wouldn't recommend this on a complete machine. Go on ebay under completed listings for what stuff is bringing. I've bought a few Redheads that had been motorized and sold the case, electrical, and put a crank on the head---sort of demodernizing. I avoided the treadles so as not to tear down something I admired. Don't know the Indianapolis market though if its similar to South Jersey they arn't worth fooling with unless it's something you enjoy doing.

Jon
Old 01-12-2015, 10:59 PM

I can make money with FW's and thats it. I fix them and sell them. I only buy them if they are in good condition and under $150 that way I can sell them on Ebay and make a bit of money. Especially now with the Canada US exchange. Good time to sell if your Canadian.