Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-13-2015, 08:07 AM

siodach, OooooooH! I love the string blocks, do you mind if I make a couple of those??? are the seams very bulky?
Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 AM

I posted my blocks to #7 instead of here. I will post another picture here tonight when I will be using my iPad. That is the only way that I can post a photo. Your fabrics look great, can hardly wait till Saturday to get the next clue!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:12 AM

Love those block, Siodach. That is the exact method I use for making charity quilts out of my strings smaller than 1-1/2".
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM

Siodach love the string block patches. That will make the quilt look extra scrappy. Planning on getting my blocks sewn together on Thursday. Want to have them done in time for the next clue. My goal is to say caught up with the clues on this ride and not fall behind.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
siodach, OooooooH! I love the string blocks, do you mind if I make a couple of those??? are the seams very bulky?
Hey go for it! I don't have copyright

The only time I had an issue was trying to join two 2-patches together with the paper still on - I had to remove the centre paper so I could nest the seams properly.

I did, tho, make sure to use a wide-ish strip across the centre line, so that when I came to cut into quarters the cross-point didn't fall onto a seam.

The other short-cut I did was place two large squares together face to face (check which way your strips run lol) and draw the cutting lines on the paper. Then I sewed 1/4 inch either side of one line before cutting apart. That yields two 2-patches straight away, without any messing!!!

Looking forward to seeing your strings

Oh, and Judy, there's nothing in there big enough to make a 1" hexie out of ... he he
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM

I love the idea of using scraps to make scraps. Too late for this batch for me but maybe next time because I do have crumbs, and not just from the scones that someone left in the club car.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:32 PM

Siodach: What a great idea! They look fantastic. I've made string blocks but the strings usually are at least 1.5 inches wide and much bigger.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
I posted my blocks to #7 instead of here. I will post another picture here tonight when I will be using my iPad. That is the only way that I can post a photo. Your fabrics look great, can hardly wait till Saturday to get the next clue!
Is there an easy way to post pictures with the iPad? I just got one for Christmas. I like posting to Facebook since it goes straight there, no uploading
Old 01-13-2015, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

Honchey and Siodach, LOVE the pieced center blocks, or whatever they will end up being.
What a great idea to use up scraps.

Ladies, just left chili and ceese in the club car, chocolate cream pie for desert.

is it Saturday yet, ready for the next step
Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 PM

Love the string blocks and the variegated pieced ones!

I had an idea early this morning, and decided to try it. Awhile back, I'd pulled my fabric scraps for the BH mystery quilt, then got busy with other projects and decided to watch from the sidelines for the time being. As it turned out, the mystery quilt (although very pretty) was too busy for my taste, so I decided to use those scraps to make THIS mystery quilt instead. After all, they were just sitting there, looking sad and lonely! hee hee

I'd already raided the neutrals and blacks that I'd pulled, so I have green, pink, and yellow left. We'll see how it turns out. And some aqua, too, but not a lot of it. It'll be bright, that's for sure!