Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you cut good circles... >

How do you cut good circles...

How do you cut good circles...

Old 01-12-2015, 08:40 AM

Tartan is right on.....and I love that rolling ruler. I generally use a plate, but whatever works and Tartan seems to have all the right answers.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I made a pillow cover for a round pillow and I had never made one before. I got it completed but I struggled a bit. How would you cut an accurate circle... but a bigger one. I know that Olfa makes one that looks slick, but I needed a 13" circle. What I have seen the Olfa doesn't go that large. I don't have a bowl or plate that size either
fold a large piece of paper into quarters. find a ruler that has holes in it. hold the pin hole at the point, find 6 3/4 on ruler, swing ruler around and hold pencil at the 6 3/4 mark and move across the paper.

It has to be 13"? Most dinner plates are about that size and I use dishes for circles ----------unless a specific size is needed.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:56 AM

I am going to look for one of those rolling rulers
Old 01-12-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Here is a picture of my rolling ruler I picked up in the back to school stuff a while ago. I can draw up to a 24 inch circle with it. It has holes every 1/2 inch along the 12 inch length. It is rather handy.[ATTACH=CONFIG]505585[/ATTACH]
Never knew this ruler existed. Will have to look for one !
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85 View Post
I would fold either paper or just my fabric in quarters. and make a mark at 6 1/2 then tie a string around a pencil and pin it at the folded corner and tie the pencil so that it is at the 6 1/2 inch mark and draw around to the other edge and viola Cut and you have a 13 inch circle. Now is that clear as mud or what We must have been typing at the same time
6 3/4 to allow for quarter inch seam
Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 PM

I bought a cheap Charger plate and use that. Works great.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Fold a large piece of paper in quarters, use a plate or a compass to round the corner and cut out.

I have one of those cheap rolling rulers that can act as a large circle tracer. I put my fabric or paper on a surface that is firm but I can put a pin into. I put the pin in the hole at one end and put pressure on it. I choose another hole down the side of the ruler for my pencil point and trace around.

Do you have a pizza pan large enough to trace? You can also make a cheap compass by putting a pencil on a string and holding the other end of the string at the center point and tracing the circle edge with the pencil.
That is my method too. Works fine.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

I use a compass. It will make a 13" circle. But I'm going to look for the one Tartan has. Have use all the other suggestions also. It's up to you and your budget!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:44 AM

I have a metal yardstick that I use to use when I did woodworking. I drilled small holes at each 1", 1/2" and 1/4" so when I need to draw a circle I can do the same as most of the ours here say. The only thing is, I started my holes at the 1" mark and use that as the center point then use a long push pin to hold it down. I have to add 1" to the size I need but it works great.
Your could always get a smaller 2' ruler and do the same thing.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:49 PM

The easiest way for me is to fold the paper in quarters and then use the string and pencil method from the folded corner to the radius of the cirle I need. Cut it out and unfold and voila a circle of the right diameter.