Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is why we give quilts - not sell them >

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

This is why we give quilts - not sell them

Old 01-16-2015, 01:20 PM

It's so hard to put a price on the labor, love and time it takes to make a quilt. It looks like she doesn't understand what it takes. $2.66 and hour???? God bless!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 PM

I get requests and always, always, always say no! I tell them quilting is my hobby and I never want to start thinking of it as a job. I give a lot of quilts away. I makes Quilts for Kids and quilts for family members. I've made quilts for friends who have asked but never because they have asked. I've surprised them with a quilt as a gift. I enjoy making them that way.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:30 AM

I made a quilt for my SIL of my late MIL's clothing. She asked how much and I made the mistake of saying just what I have in materials. She paid me (over the cost of materials) $5.00. A week later a dear friend of mine lost her husband, I offered to make a quilt from his clothing for her,at no charge. Shortly after I sent the quilt to her, I received a check for $600. I did not expect anything for making that quilt as I feel it was an act of love and kindness. Since then I have not made a quilt for anyone other than my dd and dh. Have refused to make anything else for my SIL. I decide if , when, and how much to get paid for what I have made, but watch out for family.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by cjaneky View Post
I made a quilt for my SIL of my late MIL's clothing. She asked how much and I made the mistake of saying just what I have in materials. She paid me (over the cost of materials) $5.00. A week later a dear friend of mine lost her husband, I offered to make a quilt from his clothing for her,at no charge. Shortly after I sent the quilt to her, I received a check for $600. I did not expect anything for making that quilt as I feel it was an act of love and kindness. Since then I have not made a quilt for anyone other than my dd and dh. Have refused to make anything else for my SIL. I decide if , when, and how much to get paid for what I have made, but watch out for family.

she tipped you! How nice. You quoted the "price". You recieved what you quoted, if I read this correctly. Only WE can put a price on our "value". And until then.......

sandy
Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 AM

I think you greatly undervalued your time.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 AM

$ 2.66 an hour is an absolute insult. I'd ask her if she would work for that amount.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:32 AM

My mother was a self-taught seamstress and made the majority of my sister's and my clothes. She was quite good. Friends and neighbors used to beg her to make things for them and she always refused. I am not sure what she told them but within the family she said they would be appalled at what she would want to charge and she would be offended by what they would be willing to pay. Case closed.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:53 AM
Banned

I don't understand why it's difficult to put a price on a quilter's labor. It's quite simple. I price mine at $20 per hour. Then I keep a stopwatch by my side.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:08 AM

I found out a long time ago that people will take advantage of you if you let them. I had some freeloaders in my life and learned how to say NO to them. I believe your boss may be one of them, only you will know for sure.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:37 AM

Through the years friends and friends of friends would call me to do minor (really?) sewing, mending. I could not charge and it was on a "whatever you feel it's worth" basis. It is obvious that non sewers have no idea the value of our time. I did it for many years. Since I retired and started quilting, I hung up my shingle. Your post brought back many memories. My favorite comment to me was "that sewing shop charges way too much." I did it while it worked for me but now I am being selfish and spend my time quilting.