Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying new printer..which one? >

buying new printer..which one?

buying new printer..which one?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:34 PM

We have a Epson 3620 inkjet printer. I use it for all my quilting stuff. It is really easy to use. My DH got it for me just for my quilting hobby. It's is easy also to replace a cartridge. The one I use to have a Kodak wasn't that good at all. Ugh!!!

Last edited by sewingstash; 01-16-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 PM

I am partial to HP printers--and have a number of them. I have an expensive one with all the bells and whistles, but my favorite is the HP Envy 4500 series printer. It enlarges/reduces; prints double-sided; is wireless; and is a 3-in-1 (print, copy, scan). I have used it for transfer paper for printing on fabric, and does an excellent job. I like it so much that I have two of them (one in the office and one in the quilt studio). It is on sale at Staples for $70.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:02 AM

I have an HP as well and really like it. It is a 3 in 1 as well. Have never printed on fabric though. Doesn't have as many bells/whistles as WandaVA's but I like it. Will replace with another HP when the time comes. I think I paid about $50 for it at the time (5+ years ago).
Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 PM

I think I was told HP and epson are the best quality photowise when I was in the market for a new printer. I have an HP which I love.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
I loved my little Canon it was a workhorse, but now have a Brother. Not overly fond of it, as it self-cleans using up ink, and has had repair as the blue ink was printing red. If not used constantly, the black dries so only half a line is printed till I try 5 or 6 times.

Definately get one with 4 cartridges so you don't have to replace half-full inks.

Lazer printers only come in one colour, don't they? We couldn't afford multicolour ones. I have a cousin with an old one, I liked using it. Only black ink, but she has never printed on fabric, and thought it might jam up more often (major chaos). Don't know about that though, as you need to use 'leaders' to take fabric through anyway.
All printer cartridges dry up and then the cartridges wear out fast if the printer is seldom used. I was told to print something small every once in a while to make the cartridges last longer. It worked. I was going through cartridges like crazy, now I go through maybe 1 a year on my HP
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM

I just bought an HP Office Pro 8610 and I think it does everything you are wanting - Office Depot and it was $129. I had bought an 8600 for over at my mom's about a year or so ago and the ink in it lasts longer (get more prints) than any one I have had before. Looked for it when ours went the other day but the 8610 is the new replacement for it. You might want to check it out.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM

FYI - most of the fabric that you get to print on says to only use with Ink Jet printers.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:40 AM

I have an HP and Epson and both do well the only complaint I have is that the Epson that feeds from the top won't do fabric. I am looking for a printer that will print on fabric that feeds from the top. When the printer pulls the fabric from the bottom tray it can twist it sometimes. I m still looking.
Lynda
Old 01-18-2015, 04:17 AM
Banned

I also have an HP 3 in one. And like it. If you have EQ7 its a must so you can scan your fabrics into it
Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by memepat View Post
We bought a brother a few months ago and it's great. The place we bought it said they had less complaints and returns with the new brother machines.
I have had a Brother Laser for over 7 years and never had a bit of trouble with it. It is black and white so probably not what you want but the price was good and it has been super reliable. I plan to replace it in the near future with a newer model so I can get a wi-fi connection and color. The first one I will look at will be a Brother. If you want to print on fabric, you need to check on that before purchase. It isn't something I do so I can't say.