Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by AnngelAnne View Post
Love your pictures, that kitten is so cute. Thanks for showing what "Crumb pieces" is. I have read that several times and felt dumb asking. Now I see I was dumber not asking. So crumb pieces means you sew little bits and pieces together to make the size that you need? Such as your triangles have more than two pieces of material in it? Did I get that right?
Yep! Crumbs are teeny bits of fabric that can be sewn together. Some people save crumbs as small as 3/4". I don't really have the patience to work with bits THAT small, but I save squares/rectangles that are 1-1/2" or larger, and strips that are at least 1" wide. Just depends on how much patience you have!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
While waiting for the clue & chatting w Lynnie, I sewed up more blocks. Lynnie calls this "making fabric".
Victoria Findlay Wolfe uses this technique in many of her award-winning quilts. She suggests you warm up to sew every day w 15 mins of scrap play. I really love the scraps from my buddies in my Bee. I cut these 6.5" square. Will do 12. I used to tell my students "Art accepts
many answers." Will make some HSTs for steps 3 & 4. Try some, Lynnie!!
When you people do these crumb pieces, you just sew them together with 1/4 seam? You do not put them on a piece of foundation? What is the difference of this and crazy quilt pieces? I am hungry for any information. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ml#post7055781

Click on this link if you wish to see my latest scrappy. The yellow blocks are a one-quarter of a Dresden plate, not sure if I am overly fond of this. The other blocks are a pinwheel that are loose, made from a square of fabric.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:37 AM

Crumbs are really little pieces. You can play around with them or put them out in the spring for birds to build nests!!
It's fun to lay them out on iron-on interfacing, like Pellon. Put a sheet of parchment on top & fuse. Pull off the parchment.
Stitch or cut into greeting cards!! Or paint w Mod Podge, throw on glitter, etc. A quilter's Valentine! (Hey, Lynnie)
Or... spray w 505, lay fine netting on top, stitch.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
Crumbs are really little pieces. You can play around with them or put them out in the spring for birds to build nests!!
It's fun to lay them out on iron-on interfacing, like Pellon. Put a sheet of parchment on top & fuse. Pull off the parchment.
Stitch or cut into greeting cards!! Or paint w Mod Podge, throw on glitter, etc. A quilter's Valentine! (Hey, Lynnie)
Or... spray w 505, lay fine netting on top, stitch.
Wow, who would have guessed, how interesting, I would love to see some of these things done. Wonderful, thanks.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM

did not have them insured. everone I know knew where I keep them. I have also learned that from now on as well as the label,I will also take a picture of the quilt and keep in a journal.A friend of mine is married to a member of the police dept.so he knows as well .If I find out who the culprit is it will be highly publisized ,I promise.!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:01 AM

Thanks Judy. You just gave me some ideas what to do with the blades I have left over. I just did a Dresden Plate Quilt. I am going to use some to make a curtain to fit top of window..
Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM

Judy, Your charity scrap quilt is so scrappy, bright & cheerful..
Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 AM

About HSTs.. I learned to soak damp fabric is diluted liquid starch. I wring it out & smooth it on a plastic tablecloth to dry.
My skills are not terrific, so this really helps. Footnote to Anita Grossman Solomon. She sometimes puts hers in a baggie in the refrigerator. My Mom did this when ironing my gymsuit!!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM

Windblown, glad you are sticking with your BH because I really liked your colors. (Although I'm glad I did only 1/4 size.)

Moonrise, What a cute little kitten. That was no easy task raising him so hats off to you for your good heart. Name?? Oh, and I love your scrappy scraps too.

Jolo, I can't believe what has happened to you. What a heartbreaker. I'm hoping with the others that there is a good reason they are missing and will be returned.

Dotcalm, OMG, I had forgotten all about those horrible, one-piece gym suits we had to wear in high school. Boy, I'll bet that dates us.

I got my triangles done and then noticed that I had some I couldn't tell which side was the light side. Need to redo those with different fabric.