Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?.... >

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Could anyone else be as an untidy quilter and sewer?....

Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 AM

I will admit to being a thread slob. I used to use a regular vacuum and have to clean the roller all the time. Then I switched to the wet vac and it worked like a charm. (I'm a slob about fabric, patterns etc as well)
Old 01-23-2015, 07:08 AM

Ok I'm a neat sewer. It is hard for me to imagine all these threads around. I have a bedroom converted to my sewing & it is neat. When I'm done with a project I clean up & during sewing. That is just me!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 AM

The sad part for me was when I took my husband to the doctor and he removed his shoes for a foot check and he had threads of different colors on his white socks. That is from when I bring projects out of my sewing room to work on in another room....those little buggers stick to everything. I get so messy too in no time at all. I clean up after each project also, but it is never ending. Oh well...the joys of being a quilter. I am so happy I can shut my door and not think about it. Not inline with my previous personality but very freeing.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:43 AM

Get a $20 fancy thread catcher for each station you use in your sewing room to catch all that OR tape a paper bag to each station and just drop or sweep those threads and bits into it. It's not hard. AND clean up after each project is completed before starting a new one.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:09 AM

I use a bucket you get at wally in the paint dept and I line it with a small kitchen trash bag. When im cutting or sewing, all threads and itty bitty pieces to be thrown out, goes into that bucket. When it gets full, which takes quite some time, then I just wrap up the small trash bag and out it goes. My set up is now in a U-shape as I cant stand for long time due to good ole arthur in knees. I have a desk with my pc and printer and shelves over that to hold all my info, quilting books office supplys etc. Then on the the smaller end I have a table with my cutting mat sewing machine and a shelf to hold boxes and small baskets full of things like threads sewing supplys, rulers etc. this table is set up on wooden pieces of board so that my ironing board set in the lowest position will slide partially under that table. the rest of the ironing board sticks out like an arm. Off the end of the ironing board is part of a folding table which I use for my cut fabric layouts. On the other side of the ironing board is an old filing cabinet which I use to store all my fabrics for now. I have an office chair on rollers to slide where I need to be. So any threads or bits of fabrics may drop just in that small area. It is easy then to just pick up anything on the floor and throw it in the bucket to be pitched them. About 2x per week I vacuum that area which is not a large area so its easy to keep it clean. I first take the hose of my vacuum cleaner and suck up any threads on the floor before I actually vacuum the floor using the beater bar on my vac. This saves time and wear n tear on my machine. I envy those who have a nice large organized quilting room and have a place to stash and store everything. Only in my dreams I guess.lol
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 AM

I keep a 9" (about) square of fleece to the left of machine and place all cut threads and fabric snips on it. These stay put until whipped off . The larger pieces of fabric doesn't always hit the trash can of course but No threads on vacuum roller or chair.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:31 AM

We live in an alcove studio apartment in NYC, so you can imagine what the place looks like when I'm actively working on something. Last weekend, I cleaned out the alcove, 6' x 8' and set it up to start quilting a twin sized bed quilt. Right now I have the bulk of the quilt on top of the dog crate, which is butted right up against my sewing table (which is also a grooming table for my other hobby... I'll have to take a picture tonight. Before I cleaned out the alcove last weekend, I got the, 'i need you to clean up you quilting stuff' request. But I generally try and tidy up each night, or after each session because if I don't my workspace is unusable. Plus, we have 2 old indoor only cats that are rather neurotic and I worry about them getting into stuff while I'm at work.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM

Actually, I always keep my threads and pins picked up. I have 2 kitties that like to be in the sewing room with me and I don't want them to swallow them. Fabric, scissors and rulers, on the other hand, aren't always so neat.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 AM

I'm messy for the duration of each step in the process of making a quilt, real messy but I always clean up in between stages such as if I'm adding embroidery to a quilt top or before quilting. It's an old but useful habit because it's associated with learning and creativity from uni days - uncluttered desk, uncluttered head. It works for me especially so at the beginning of a project. I guess it works along the same principles as fenghui
Old 01-23-2015, 09:08 AM

Guess that's why I like having my sewing space in the basement, where no one else ever has to go! I have 3 quilt tops on the floor right now, two sandwiched on the couch waiting to be quilted, one on the planning board nearly finished, (waiting for one additional fabric for the edges before being pieced together), and one flimsy folded on the bench waiting for a backing. I like to work on more than one project at a time, and be able to leave all my stuff around to easily grab it!! I also love getting done, and cleaning it all up afterwards, and I do keep my scraps and fabrics organized, usually by color and size. Love the mess!!