Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight-line machine quilting technique >

Straight-line machine quilting technique

Straight-line machine quilting technique

Old 01-24-2015, 12:39 PM

When quilting, burying the knot and thread does take a bit of time but the results are seamless lines that will enhance the overall effect. When I first tried thread painting it seemed like I was forever tying knots and burying them & LOL! I was!! and yes it took time! but the overall end result was good and I'm glad I did it.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I shorten the stitches for about 5-7 stitches.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

I have done some hand quilting and a little embroidery. With that in mind I bury the knot. Machine, what little I've done, I back stitch.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:08 PM

I shorten my stitches....normally, on my machine, it says 2.5, and I drop it down to 1. Not too sure what those numbers mean, but that is what I do.

Dina
Old 01-24-2015, 05:10 PM

Hi. I posted the English paper pieced quilt. The straight line quilting only went to the applicaied flower. I pulled up the bottom thread when starting by never buried any threads. I backed takes by 2 stitches when starting and stopping. I FMQ the flowers and leaves. I didn't find it too bad as I did a little bit each night for about a week until it was done. I must add that I trialed the following: I used crayons washable markers and drew lines on the white fabric! I used yellow marker. I also glued basted the quilt using elders school house glue. I was afraid to wash it fearing the marker would not come and that the red would run but I did use those color catchers when washing, it cam out great not trace of marker or glue. I will definitely use both techniques agin.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 AM

I pull the top thread through to the back, tie it with the bobbin thread and bury both threads. I keep a large eye needle handy to do this. I like the look of it better than tiny stitches or back stitching plus I like hand work so I don't see it as a chore. Often times it is a nice break from the machine stitching.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 AM

I plan to do cross-hatch background on some squares that will have applique. After looking closely, why not do the cross-hatching FIRST - then applique over the top. This would eliminate the starting and stopping, burying the knots and almost make a grid for the applique placement. What problems am I overlooking doing it this way?
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
I plan to do cross-hatch background on some squares that will have applique. After looking closely, why not do the cross-hatching FIRST - then applique over the top. This would eliminate the starting and stopping, burying the knots and almost make a grid for the applique placement. What problems am I overlooking doing it this way?
I did it this way on a table runner that had pieced squares over-laid with appliqued leaves. I cross-hatch-quilted before doing the applique. I don't like it because the cross-hatching shows up clearly as 'dents' in the leaves. Won't do that way again. I usually quilt up to the applique, lock the stitches, and carry the threads to the other side of the applique, lock stitches again, and continue on. Or, if it makes sense to, I edge quilt along the applique to the next starting point. It all depends..... Works for me.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 AM

Thanks everyone for all your responses. This has puzzled me for a long time. I think one could do the cross hatching first if you traced where applique will go and then stitch just a few stitches beyond that mark. Sewlo, your method of back-stitching 2 stitches when you stop works very well for you. I looked closely at your english pieced quilt and could NOT see any back-stitching! I'm not sure I'd have that same great result. This is just one reason 90% of all my quilts get meandered. I like matching thread to each color vs having white thread crossing red or vs. versa.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Over the years and with several quilting classes under my belt, I've learned that if you decrease the stitch length shortly before having to stop the cross-hatching that should be enough. Many times I just stitch in place for a little bit and I haven't had any problems that I'm aware of. You could also back stitch when you need to stop or move the stitching line. If the space isn't too large, I would stitch several times in the same place, then raise the presser move, move it over the applique and begin quilting, again stitching several times in place. I'm sure there are other opinions on how to do this, this is how I do it.