Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Free 2015 Block of the Month Craftsy Class >

Free 2015 Block of the Month Craftsy Class

Free 2015 Block of the Month Craftsy Class

Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 AM

On the Craftsy web site there was so much discussion about the block coming up a 9 1/4 inch block instead of the 9.5, I decided I would make a practice bock before I cut into the "real" fabric. I used the templates, although that's not my favorite method, because the sizes were odd. I sewed scant 1/4 inches and ended up with a slightly oversized block. I still have enough that I shouldn't loose any points except on the edges of the basket, which I am hoping I can fix on my real block. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160002.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	506404  
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM

I am also anxiously awaiting for my kit to arrive. I absolutely love this quilt and can't wait to get started.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
On the Craftsy web site there was so much discussion about the block coming up a 9 1/4 inch block instead of the 9.5, I decided I would make a practice bock before I cut into the "real" fabric. I used the templates, although that's not my favorite method, because the sizes were odd. I sewed scant 1/4 inches and ended up with a slightly oversized block. I still have enough that I shouldn't loose any points except on the edges of the basket, which I am hoping I can fix on my real block. Hope this helps someone.
My first block came out at 8.5". I had printed the templates twice on two different printers and I realized the second printing templates appeared to be larger. Duh... I used my ruler and measured the 1" scale and it was right on. But the ones I used were off. I recut the templates and made the block again and this time it was 9.5" spot on. Use that scale on the template sheet! I felt like such a dummy! I have no experience with templates but I'm learning!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:59 AM

My kit is here...thanks for the input so far. Is there a thread that is dedicated to this subject, or is this one it? Or is everyone following on Craftsy. I've never done that. Sorry to join the party late. Emma that finished block is gorgeous...I only see one block that doesn't have the quarter inch you'll need...the very top, correct?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:08 AM

Coopah: As far as I know this is the only thread. The practice block really made me realize the genius of JB's designs. There were no mirror images in the border or spaces between the strips so you could use them all in this border print. I am going to do the pink and green one at the same time. Glad to hear you received your kit as promised. Aren't the colors beautiful?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:30 AM

Did anyone have any problems with their kit? It appears that my fabric #10 is quite different from the picture in the kit and also the fabric on JB's site. Just wondering if anyone else had problems with it.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:14 PM

No problems with my kit. It was backordered and came sooner than expected. All fabrics were as shown.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Wholeheart: Didn't have any problems. How far off is the substitute? Will it work in the design? One other thought, is it possible that your initial ID of the material may have switched two colors? Some of them are very close.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:18 AM

I don't think my ID of the fabrics is off... I went to Jinny Beyer's website and brought up full size images so I had no problem ID'ing the fabric. I heard from at least one other person that also had a fabric substitution, and she liked the substituted fabric better than the original.

Here is the fabric that I should have received: http://www.the-quiltedcrow.com/shop/...09-x709383.htm

And here is the fabric that I got: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1909585...466&rmvSB=true

I suppose it can work, but I do like the original fabric so much better.

Last edited by Wholeheart Mom; 01-25-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:25 AM

Actually I like the one you received better, just in terms of color. It's kind of strange that they didn't try a paler purple as a substitute. More in keeping with original. Makes me wonder if the substitute was design choice.